General AdviceConsumer Advice

US Census Bureau's American Community Survey

Did you get the American Community Survey in the mail? It's from the US Census bureau. My bother got this survey in the mail. It's not the survey we get to determine the US population. Everyone doesn't get one; it's random. At first I did not think it was legitimate until I did an online search. There probably are a hundred questions some I feel too personal to answer. In fact I would not. The form says it's required by law to complete. If you don't mail it in someone will call and then come to your house to help you complete the form. A fine of $300 for noncompliance is what I read. Did you get one you did not complete and what happened? Thanks.

By weinerdog41 from Ft. Worth, TX

This survey is invaluable to people doing research in, for example, housing issues. The information collected allows for careful planning of investments and services, and for the distribution of federal and state funds. The ACS affects decisions about education, jobs, hospitals, transportation, and services for children and the elderly, to name a few. I know a lot of the questions are personal but no one will have access your specific information; it is a serious crime to disclose data. All the information collected is reported in combined groups of data that give an overview of a selected area.

For more information: https://www.census.gov/acs/www/