Ice CreamDesserts

Ube (Purple Yam) Homemade Ice Cream

This was my first time to make ice cream without an ice cream maker. It is such a big achievement for me, as I didn't research the recipe on how to make ice cream. This is purely one of my cross fingered kitchen experiment!

Purple yam or commonly known to us as Ube is a common flavor in delicacies here in the Philippines. I would like to share this simple ice cream recipe with you that I just learned today.

Yield: 1 liter ice cream

1. Whip all purpose cream until slightly stiffer bubbly.
  2. Add condensed milk and evaporated milk. Whip mixture.
  3. Place crushed ice sprinkled with a handful of rock salt in a larger bowl.
  4. Ad

5. Put the mixing bowl over the salted ice bowl and continue whisking the milk mixture.
  6. Add purple yam a little at a time while whisking. The mixture will turn creamy and will slightly harden with the help of salted ice.
  7. Ad

8. Add the chocolate chips/bits and continue to whip until consistency is achieved. You can use electric mixer for faster and better result.
  9. If the ice cream forms immediately over the salted ice it will be ready for serving but if not, transfer the mixture to a plastic container and freeze 5-7 hours to achieve ice cream consistency.
  10. Ad

11. Scoop the ice cream and serve.

I am not familiar with this technique for making ice cream. It sounds interesting and very easy. I'm going to give it a try. Purple yams aren't available where I live. What do you suggest as a substitute?

Thanks for posting.

People suggest trying sweet potatoes, purple potatoes or even pumpkin as a substitute. But you might try looking at an Asian or Filipino food store. We have many in the Pacific NW, but I feel like they are becoming more common nationwide. It might also be available at a more upscale natural food store, like Whole Foods. It sounds like it is a hot new trend for the Paleo crowd.

Let us know what you try and how it turns out.