AdviceHealth & Beauty

Undressing For A Medical Exam

A trivial question, yet I am curious. I've seen more specialists in the past two months than I've seen in my whole lifetime. Today, I saw a vascular surgeon. She was the first female doctor I had ever seen.

I had on sweats (the only thing I could get on over my swollen legs). The nurse told me I could leave my top on. She said to remove my sweat pants, shoes and socks. I was to leave my underwear on. She gave me a pair of shorts to wear. They were made of a material that reminded me of Tyvek.

I'm wondering if these shorts are something new? Was I given them because the doctor was female and I am male? When my GP has me strip to my underwear, he doesn't give me shorts to wear. Had I been a woman seeing this female doctor for the same exam, would I have been given the shorts to wear? When a woman sees a male doctor and needs to strip to her panties, is she given shorts to wear?

Maybe it's just a new hygiene thingy?

I have never been given underwear like that. I would call back and ask the staff why.

Hi,

I think it is probably just something they have placed into their practice to make customers feel more comfortable and to protect the professionalism of the doctors and staff.

To illustrate, I will tell this story:

Once, a long time ago, I was at the doctors and I was told to take my shirt off and pants. For some reason they had forgotten to give me a robe. So I left my slip on and my bra.

When the doctor came in and saw me, sitting there like that, with a slip and a bra only, and no examination gown, he ran out of the room like a bat out of, well you know, and had the nurse bring a gown for me.

I think it is a matter of looking more like a patient, instead of someone sitting in the room just in their underwear.

The visual of a woman in her underwear alone and no robe, could be construed to be something it wasn't, and accusations could arise.

So I would not think it was anything unusual except for making the patient more comfortable.

Blessings,

Robyn

Thanks, Robyn

yes this is new normal. if the doctor needs to look at your legs.

they want to see you walking. they cant do that with a drape.