Untangling a Necklace Chain

I need a tip on how to untangle a necklace chain. Thanks.

Put a paper towel on the counter. Put the necklace on top of that. Get two straight pins. Put a drop of oil on the knot. The oil will loosen the knot. The paper towel will absorb the excess oil. Use the two pins to untie the knot. This works for me every time, even with very fine chains.

I usually open the clasp so there are 'two ends', then spread the tangled chain out on the kitchen table (or worktop counter) as far as I can. I carefully widen the spread using a toothpick or icepick tip. Then, when I've spread it enough to see the direction the tangle is going, I use a combination of slant-tip tweezers and the toothpick or icepick to work the tangle out.

I've taped one or both of the opened clasp ends to keep them under control, lifting the tape only when I'm sure I know what direction to pass it through-under-over to clear the tangle.

Good luck, hope this helps:)

It also helps to put a little cornstarch or baby powder on the tangle and rub a bit between your thumb and forefinger. This usually loosens the tangle where it can be undone.

Home and Garden Repair Other JewelryDecember 12, 2015
💘
🍀