Use Heat to Exterminate Bed Bugs

I live in an apartment for senior citizens and we had a few bedbug incidences. They called in an exterminator and they use heat to get rid of them. I was really scared and went and got plastic covers for my box spring and mattress. The exterminator came and gave us tips on what to look for, etc. He was really helpful. Heat seemed to work for the folks who had the problem. I don't know much the treatment costs.

Did you find out the temperature of the heat used, would something like a hair dryer work or does it have to be higher heat?

A neighbor was recipient of a bed from another who was moving. It was infested with bedbugs! I had discovered a spray for bedbugs and dust mites in our local DIY store. Good Night is fantastic! The label notes for Bedbugs & Dust mites. First, wash all linens and mattress covers in HOT water and dry on HOT. Then, vacuum both box springs and mattress, including sides, paying particular attention to stitched areas. After you have determined the bedbugs are no longer, add a plastic cover for your mattress, then add/make up your bed with mattress cover, sheets, etc. Don't forget to spray all baseboard areas where bedbugs like to hide and multiply! If your infestation is more than what Good Night can handle, find an exterminator. My neighbor no longer has bedbugs!

I believe that when exterminators heat a home for bedbug extermination, the seal the house and heat the interior to 140 degrees for a certain period of time. It is hard to do and is quite costly.

I would try a hairdryer all over the mattress and there is also a dryer out there that they use for shrink wrap which has much higher heat. Then I would vacuum the whole mattress and then spray with the canned bed bug treatment.

I would have the window open and a ceiling fan running to dry the bug spray. Bed bugs like to hide in the piping part of the mattress so make sure you concentrate on that part.

Home and Garden Pest Control BugsMarch 4, 2014
📓
🌻
🐛