Use Joy for Fleas

Tip on ridding your pets of fleas! My daughter is a professional dog/cat groomer. When fleas are a problem at her shop, they use a dilution of lemon Joy dishwashing liquid. Take about 1 and 1/2 inches in the bottom of the original bottle and then dilute it with water to fill to top again. Shampoo your pet, using care not to get it in their eyes. Lather them well! You may bath them with your favorite shampoo after the initial Joy bath and thorough rinse! Works like a charm!

By Shirley from Kingston, PA

I used the detergent Joy many times, it works good. But to be honest, no matter what brand of detergent you use any kind of detergent would do the work. What counts is not the brand but the amount of foam. The fleas die suffocated by the foam, they can't breath in contact with the soap. So just a little water is important, use a spray of water to moisten the pet's fur and apply the detergent directly to the pet's fur so that its lather is abundantly foamed. Leave it for 5 to 10 minutes and rinse very well, you will see the dead fleas coming out through the rinse water. Use the detergent you think is best, safe and comfortable for your pet.

Just make sure that the detergent doesn't contain ammonia or bleach. Many of the newer dish soaps have additives to boost the cleaning power. This might irritate your pet's skin or eyes.

What do I do when fleas are on my cats face too?

Pert Plus shampoo also kills fleas, but is much more gentle. I use the pert plus dandruff formula on my dogs, and it works as well as dawn dish soap, but is much more gentle to their skin.