ToolsGardening

Use a Baby Pool to Cleanup Yard Debris

Vote for this contest contender!

I trimmed some low lying limbs on our pecan tree and thought about Hurricane Florence that is predicted to bring devastation to North Carolina and South Carolina. There is going to be a mess of debris left to clean up.

I wish we had known about this tip, years ago, when hurricane Fran came through our area. It would have been a great help for us.

To clean up our yard, I use a small baby pool. A large one works even better, but for my use, the small one works well and fits nicely under our screen porch where it makes a good cover for my wagon.

With a rope for a handle, it pulls easily across the grass for hauling. It can be picked up for dumping the debris into a trailer or truck bed for hauling to the landfill's mulch pile or dumped wherever you need it to be.

1. Figure how long you need the rope to be and cut it. The rope will be used to pull the pool.
  2. Drill two small holes or cut a slit in the side of the pool to run the rope through.
  3. Push rope ends through the holes.
  4. Place washer on ends of rope on the inside of the pool.
  5. Tie a knot to keep the rope from pulling through.
  6. Use a sturdy reach extender to pick up sticks, small limbs, pine cones, and other debris. It will save your back.

To get more in the pool, I find it helpful to trim the limbs up before placing them in the pool. That way, they lay flat.

I really like this tip and with your instructions and pictures, I think that even I can handle fixing one of these.
I have a lot of debris almost every day and this should come in handy but I think that I will start with the small tub also.

Thanks for posting and especially the nice pictures.
Betty

I think you will love it but you better hurry and see if you can find one. Summer is about over.

You can get a good reach extender at Home Depot. I think it's called an EZ Reacher.

Thanks, I went to Walmart and bought their last one (in my area)!

Now it is in my work area waiting on me... After coffee..
Thanks, I know this will save me from dirty sheets and such as I have lots of small debris and pine cones!

I have a tip for picking up pine cones. I'll try to get it together and post it ASAP.

Okay - I'll catch when you do.

I think this is a wonderful idea too. I used to use a child's wagon to pick up garden debris, etc but the wheels didn't always roll as smoothly as I would have liked. The pool idea is better. Plus, it can be hung on the shed wall instead of taking up valuable floor space. I like. I like.

Wow. I used this idea to clean up my yard after the storm. Thanks for the idea.

We had very high winds this past Friday and were under tornado watch here in SW Ontario. Luckily, it didn't touch down where I live but it sure did a lot of damage and there is debris everywhere.

Thanks to your idea of using the baby pool, my yard is fairly tidy again and the job didn't take too long. Thank you.