Uses for Plastic Cake Domes

I bought a cake for my daughter's birthday and I was trying not to waste anything. So I decided to use the cake platter and clear plastic lid as a mini greenhouse. I can start some of my perennials in January, so by mid June I should have quite a bunch of plants to plant.

By Alice from Canada

4 More Solutions

We occasionally purchase cakes from the grocery store deli that come with those plastic domed lids. I saved the last couple, sure I could figure out something useful to do with it. Well, I realized they make great heat savers for your plate of food if you're not quite ready to eat. Also, they would be great for summertime to place over plates and avoid bugs on your food. These are both things that have come in very useful for us, hopefully they will for you too. :)

Cake Dome Heat Saver

When making a large salad to carry to a potluck dinner, use a plastic cake server, turned upside down. I did this for a seven layer salad. The salad showed nicely through the clear plastic, and the "bottom" of the container makes a convenient lid.

Does anyone have any idea of how to make a recycled craft using a plastic cake keeper? I am thinking of trying to make a decorative wall hanging or so on?

By chitra from Fremont, CA

Answers

You can hot glue plastic flowers to it for a pretty wall hanging, good luck.

Answer this Question

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

If you purchase a cake or pastry from a grocery store bakery, they come in quite a nice, sturdy, see through plastic container. If you peel slowly, the labels come off easily.

Comment Like this photo? 12
Better Living Green Living ReusingApril 3, 2013
🍀
🐰
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Uses-for-Plastic-Cake-Domes.html