Uses for Plastic Cake Domes

Category Reusing
Those plastic cake domes that cover bakery purchases can be put to a second use around your house or garden, rather than immediately going into the trash. This is a page about uses for plastic cake domes.

I bought a cake for my daughter's birthday and I was trying not to waste anything. So I decided to use the cake platter and clear plastic lid as a mini greenhouse. I can start some of my perennials in January, so by mid June I should have quite a bunch of plants to plant.

By Alice from Canada

We occasionally purchase cakes from the grocery store deli that come with those plastic domed lids. I saved the last couple, sure I could figure out something useful to do with it. Well, I realized they make great heat savers for your plate of food if you're not quite ready to eat.

Also, they would be great for summertime to place over plates and avoid bugs on your food. These are both things that have come in very useful for us, hopefully they will for you too. :)

When making a large salad to carry to a potluck dinner, use a plastic cake server, turned upside down. I did this for a seven layer salad. The salad showed nicely through the clear plastic, and the "bottom" of the container makes a convenient lid.

Does anyone have any idea of how to make a recycled craft using a plastic cake keeper? I am thinking of trying to make a decorative wall hanging or so on?

By chitra from Fremont, CA

Answers

You can hot glue plastic flowers to it for a pretty wall hanging, good luck.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

If you purchase a cake or pastry from a grocery store bakery, they come in quite a nice, sturdy, see through plastic container. If you peel slowly, the labels come off easily. They come in handy to reuse in many ways.

Recently, I had company who brought a bundt type cake. This one had a large dome on a very sturdy base. Being a bundt cake, the base had a deep well in the center. I cut circles all around the center that my 2 oz. jars of acrylic paint fit into. I use the base now, upside down as a paint palette. I keep a jar of water in the center to rinse my brushes and because it is made of plastic, spills wipe off easily!

By maryeruth from Palm Coast, FL

Comment Like this photo? 12

Better Living Green Living ReusingApril 3, 2013
🐛
🌻
📓
😎
😷
Generated 2020-07-24 00:20:21 in 898 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Uses-for-Plastic-Cake-Domes.html