AdviceGardening

Using Eggshells In Your Garden

Next time you crack open your eggs, do not be so quick to throw them away! Eggs are so rich with vitamins and calcium, that is contained in the shell. By simply crushing or grinding up these shells, and adding them to your vegetable garden, it will provide many nutrients that may be lacking in your soil. Add to compost. My personal favorite use in the garden is to deter slugs, snails, and cutworms. They stay away, leaving you with uneaten flowers, plants, and vegetables. Just sprinkle around your planting areas.

I do this but put mine in the oven when I turn it off so that they don't smell when kept waiting for Spring.I'll be starting to plant out in a week or two and I have all Winter's egg shells waiting.
Marg from England.

Good advice, Ana

And let's not forget, these shells can serve an underground purpose as well. Lots of tomatoes are lost due to blossom end rot which is most often caused by lack of proper amounts of calcium in the soil. While you can buy a liquid to treat this deficiency, it's rather expensive. 1/4 to 1/2 cup of egg shells at the base of the tomato hole will serve the same purpose. They're free and have a slow release action.

Thank you so much!