Uses for Egg Shells

Category Reusing
Before putting egg shells in the compost or garbage, there are a number of ways they can be used around the home and garden. This guide is about uses for egg shells.

I want to share some things you can use egg shells for. First, I rinse my shells (after cracking them open for meals) and place them on an aluminum pan on top of my toaster.
Push down the toaster knob and let the heat come up and dry the shells in the pan.

Then I crush them up and use them mixed into my birdseed in my bird feeders (or in poultry feed, if you raise any poultry or even for pet birds). Birds NEED the calcium for their digestive processing in their gizzards and to produce their own eggs!

I also crush them up in potting soil for my flower pots or in my flower/garden beds for the natural calcium boost it gives them when it breaks down.

Or don't crush up the shells after you crack them open. Instead, add a few teaspoons of soil into each 1/2 egg shell and drop in a seed or two for some indoor plants/flowers. Great project for children to do!

When planting tomato plants in your garden, put a crushed egg shell in the bottom of the hole with a little soil over it before planting the tomato plant. It will benefit from the calcium in the egg all season and it helps to prevent blossom end rot, where ugly spots form on the bottom of the fruit.

Source: Organic Gardening Magazine

By Wayne from Cecilia, KY

Don't throw out eggshells. Crush them up and throw them into your garden. They provide needed calcium to the soil as they decompose and the sharp-edged shells keep snails out of your beds.

Around this time of the year, I begin saving egg cartons and egg shells. The half of the shell is perfect to add a bit of potting soil and then plant your seeds. Place back into the carton which acts like a hothouse.

When your seedlings are ready to transplant, plant the egg shell into the ground after cracking it a bit for drainage. This way, you don't disturb the roots, the "container" is mainly free as you have already used the egg, and it gets the added benefit of calcium. Works for me every time.

By Banty from Chatom, AL

Don't throw those egg shells away! Rinse thoroughly, removing membrane inside, air dry thoroughly and put into a zippered plastic bag. Crush with rolling pin. Store in freezer until ready to add to your garden or compost pile.

Something I learned to do as a teenager, was egg decorating. It took a lot of concentration but was so worth the end results. This is something particularly good for Christmas as you can make some stunning ornaments to hang on the tree, or get a stand for the egg to have as other decorations not associated with the tree at all.

Uses for eggshells from the ThriftyFun community.

I use finely crushed eggshells around seedlings that I transplant into my garden each spring. The shells keep snails, slugs and cut worms away. Apparently, the shells are abrasive to these critters and they won't crawl over them to eat the young plants.

By lisa

Add Calcium To The Soil

I've heard that tomatoes love them, something about the added calcium in the soil. So when I planted mine this year, I crushed up a bunch of eggshells and mixed them in around the plants.

By Beth

Seed Starter

You can also use them to start seedlings in. Then when you transplant, just crack the shell and plant the whole thing. Of course this only works for small seedlings.

By dianne

Eggshell Seed-Starting Pots

To make eggshell seed-starting pots: Crack the tips off several eggshells, reserving the eggs for cooking. Fill shells with a light soil mixture and one or two seeds (nasturtiums were used in the book), and prick drainage holes in the bottom of each shell with a pin. Keep moist and warm. When seedlings have reached a suitable size, plant them directly in the ground, crushing the shell so the roots can emerge.

By Sherry

Deer Deterrent

If you have deer eating any of your garden plants, throw the eggshells out there because deer HATE eggs! Otherwise, they are good for your plants, anyway. Just crush and use in your potting soil or mulch.

By Margie

Compost And Mix With Birdseed

I crush them up very fine, and put them in my compost tumbler. On occasion, I dump them on the ground in the area where I feed the birds. The birds need grit in their gizzard to help digest food, so they eat the shells.

By Harlean

Make Sidewalk Chalk

Sidewalk chalk! Here's a great link to making the chalk, however after I washed the shells and let them dry, I ground them up in the blender rather than on a rock - much easier!

By Tina

Bedtime Tea

Bedtime tea, you wash them, then bake them until brown. Crush and boil as you would tea. Stain and make tea as you normally would. Enjoy a cup before you go to bed, as told me by my grandmother.

By susan

Snail Food

Egg shells make good food for pet snails. They need calcium in their diet to maintain their shells.

By Sylvia

Answers

By deb from sc (Guest Post)

Egg shells are solely calcium. Plants love them. Rinse, dry, and crush. Then sprinkle on the ground under any acid loving plant such as roses, azaleas, evergreens, magnolias, gardenias. Also add used coffee grounds this way. It will make for more blooms and heartier plants. works every time and is free. just be sure to rinse the shells so you don't attract bugs to the egg drippings, which would defeat the purpose.

By Sallie (Guest Post)

Crafters could remove the membrane from the inside the shell, put pieces inside down on a box covered with glue, push down till it is all crackled. May also dye it before use. Could use different colors to make a picture.

My Mom used clean crushed egg shells on top of the coffee in the filter while brewing....Takes the bitterness out of coffee.

By louel53 (Guest Post)

This is a cute craft for kids. Dye shells with your usual Easter egg dye. Make "chicks" out of 2 cotton balls glued together. Cut tiny feet out of construction paper, make a beak out of a small construction paper triangle folded in half, and two tiny circles for eyes. You could use small beads or craft eyes if you had them. Put the chicks in the dyed 1/2 shells. Glue onto a square of green construction paper to make it stand up. You could use white shells if you prefer, but the dyed shells are very pretty. I have done this craft with grade 2 &3 kids, and they liked it a lot. Louise, Nipawin

I am confused as one poster says save egg shells for snails as they eat them for the calcium and the other is saying scatter them to keep the snails away. I want to get rid of the snails so if I scatter egg shells will it attract them to eat the shells or keep them away?

There are several good reasons to add egg shells to your garden. They provide nutrients, deter snails, slugs, and cutworms. They can also be helpful as a calcium supplement, if you raise laying hens. This is a guide about eggshells for your garden.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

The calcium in crushed egg shells can be beneficial to your indoor pet birds and even the chickens themselves. This is a guide about eggshells for birds.

When using eggs in my cooking, I try to break the shells near one end. The smaller piece of broken shell goes into the compost bowl, the larger part of the shell I put back into the empty egg carton and save for spring when I fill the shells with soil and start my seedlings in them. They are lightweight and easy to move around. When the plants have developed roots and are ready to transplant into the ground you just lift them shell and all and plant them in the garden. The egg shell will fertilize and nourish the plant. It will be off to a good start!

By Deborah from Terre Hill, PA

Answers:

Save Egg Shells in Cartons for Planting Next Spring

We also take the egg shells, peelings, that sort of thing, toss them into the blender with a little water and feed our garden all summer. roses in particular love the egg shells and bloom more profusely and longer. (11/18/2009)

By willow fahy