How to Crush Egg Shells

Category Fertilizer
Many gardeners use crushed egg shells as both fertilizer and to get rid of snails and slugs. One quick method for crushing them is to use a rolling pin. This is a guide about how to crush egg shells.

Egg shells are a great source of calcium for tomatoes and peppers. I put a handful in the hole with the plants when setting them out. It helps to prevent blossom rot.

Using a rolling pin is an easy way to crush the egg shells. Put them in a Ziploc bag and roll until they are fine; another good use for Ziploc bags you have washed to reuse again.

Top Comment

I have been using a blender to crush the shells. Your way is much better, and with less mess.

Thank you

Okay, as simple as this sounds, I hadn't thought of this, and it will be very useful for me, as my Weimeraner loves to eat the egg shells I put out for plants. I've stopped putting them out because its such a problem to keep her out of them- I'm always afraid they'll cut the lining of her stomach or intestines.
Thanks for sharing!

I tried the blender and it created so much dust, I didn't do it but once. My daughter suggested this to me when she saw me crushing them with my hands. It works like a charm.

Ha Ha! You were suppose to put water in the blender.