Crush Egg Shells With a Rolling Pin

Egg shells are a great source of calcium for tomatoes and peppers. I put a handful in the hole with the plants when setting them out. It helps to prevent blossom rot.

Using a rolling pin is an easy way to crush the egg shells. Put them in a Ziploc bag and roll until they are fine; another good use for Ziploc bags you have washed to reuse again.

Top Comment

I have been using a blender to crush the shells. Your way is much better, and with less mess.

Thank you

I tried the blender and it created so much dust, I didn't do it but once. My daughter suggested this to me when she saw me crushing them with my hands. It works like a charm.

Ha Ha! You were suppose to put water in the blender.

I guess that would help.

Anonymous

i just use my hands....no problem. If i have alot i guess the rolling pin would work good but its just a house of 1.

Okay, as simple as this sounds, I hadn't thought of this, and it will be very useful for me, as my Weimeraner loves to eat the egg shells I put out for plants. I've stopped putting them out because its such a problem to keep her out of them- I'm always afraid they'll cut the lining of her stomach or intestines.

Thanks for sharing!

Actually crushed egg shells are very good for dogs, gives them the calcium they need.

I use my Nutri Bullet to fine powder mine and works good with no dust.

I put eggshells in a plastic bag and then treat them like bubble wrap, cracking the shells into smaller and smaller bits. Wonderful For stress relief... oh and for the garden too.

Another good use for these crushed shells is to add some along with the seed that goes into the bird feeder. At egg laying time the birds need more calcium and are on the lookout for it.

I use the blender and have no problem. Put the lid on and after blending, leave the lid on until the dust settles.

Home and Garden Gardening FertilizerApril 25, 2017
🎃