Using Emery Boards

Emery boards are typically used for filing your nails but they can also be used for other jobs, such as crafts. This is a guide about using emery boards.

I always try to think of ways to use things as much as possible before tossing them out. I recently realized a great use for partially worn out fingernail emery boards. I keep them in a container and use them when I refinish antique furniture. You can pop off just the length you need and they are thin enough to get into the crevices of detailed pieces, and they are so much easier to handle than regular sandpaper. I use them when I need a fine grade sandpaper and they work really great! When finished and completely used up, into the recycling bin they go. I feel so much better knowing that they have been completely used!

By southeastgeorgiapeach from Jesup, GA

When starting to use a new emery board, start at one end and just use about an inch and a half for your nail filing, as that section gets dull then move along another inch and a half. This way, the emery board will last longer than if you just filed you nails in the middle of each emery board and left each end of the board unused and threw it away. You would not have to buy emery boards so often.

By Pearl from Toronto, Ontario, Canada