Using Epsom Salts for Muscle Cramps

Category Home Remedies
Epsom salts are frequently used in a warm water soak to reliever muscle aches and cramps. This is a guide about using epsom salts for muscle cramps.

My nurse practitioner suggested Epsom salts soaks, for their magnesium content, to help with the awful leg, foot, and thigh muscle cramps I get almost every morning when I try to get out of bed. I can't take magnesium orally.

Has anyone else heard of this remedy? Or tried it with any success? How long does it take to work?

Any other remedies you could suggest would be appreciated, too. I'm getting desperate. It is not a fun way to wake up (especially when you need to get to the bathroom quickly, I know, TMI :) Thanks all.

By ~gloria

Answers

Best Answer

Calcium helps muscles contract; magnesium helps them relax. I have fibromyalgia and soak in the tub with epsom salts regularly, and yes, they help very much. How long it takes depends on multiple issues: how short is your body of magnesium, what is your diet like, how does your body absorb minerals, are you also short of vitamin D and calcium, how long have you had this problem, what other issues do you have, etc. Epsom salt soaks are used for a variety of reasons, but your body will absorb some of the magnesium, the amount depends on how much you use, how long you soak, and how often you soak. You can also buy a magnesium oil to rub on your skin. This is a very common treatment, but it's just one thing to use, and not a miracle cure. And it is not messy at all.

Best Answer

Yes it does work. When I first started to use the salts It would take a least 5 minutes to get in and out of the bath tub. After about a week -week and a half, I was doing a lot better I still use it to day because it is so relaxing.

An old wives tale for leg cramps at night is to put a bar of soap at the foot of the bed. It's got to be soap not a cream bar like dove. Lots of people swear by this.

If you take cholesterol pills you should look into that as they will harm the muscles and make you feel achy and tired and will cramp your muscles
Hopes this helps.
msweed

On the packages of epsom salts it warns against people with certain conditions using them.

I'm sure the soaks would feel great, if you have the time for the mess every day. However, I found on the internet Magnessium spray. You spray it into your hand and rub it into the skin of each arm for the total amt you need for the day. Very convenient and being liquid it goes in instantly.