Food SafetyFood Tips

Using Expired Cocoa

The expiration date code on the back of my Hershey's cocoa is 32M1B2I. Is this still good?

Best Answer

It is usually good for up to 6 months after the expiry date. I would use it up, maybe bake something.

Best Answer

It seems this is a date formula that was used several years ago but that does not necessarily mean it is not still safe to use.

• Most nutrition sites will state that "old" cocoa may be safe to use but may have lost some of its flavor.
  • You should be able to tell if it is bad and should be discarded if it has an off or foul odor or if there are any signs of mold.
  • What may determine the effectiveness of the cocoa will probably depend on how it was stored and if it has been opened and resealed (properly or not).
  • Ad

• Cocoa powder is fairly inexpensive so unless it is to be used right away/now then it would seem a new container might be in order.

If you are interested, here are a couple of sites that discuss this further.

www.stilltasty.com/.../16912

www.canitgobad.net/.../

Best Answer

According to canitgobad.com, you can use it for 2-3 years past the expiration date. I would smell and taste it first.

Best Answer

I had bought some coco once and didn't use it up. I stored this in my refrigerator and kept it dry. I was able to use this after the expiration date. I'm not sure where you've stored yours, but it might be best if you test this before using it.