Using Kale in Recipes

Category Vegetables
Whether you are making kale chips, soups, salads, or adding it to grains such as quinoa or brown rice, you may just become a fan of this dark green leafy veggie. Even the stems can be used to make delicious dishes. Try one or more of the recipes below and then create your own.

I always see that a step in recipes using kale is to discard the stems. Don't do that! The stems are full of vitamins and fiber, not to mention zingy flavours. I like to make pesto with mine using cashews. The cashews support the bright kale flavour by giving it a nice, full creaminess. They also cost less than pine nuts.

Kale Stem Pesto in bowl

Most people throw the kale and chard stems away but they are really good and tasty! Just chop the stems thinly and sauté with onions and olive oil for a few minutes. Very healthy and delicious to go with any side along with your protein.

Prep Time: 2 minutes

Cook Time: 3 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Yield: 2 people

• kale stems
  • chard stems
  • olive oil
  • onions

1. Using left over kale and chard stems, finely dice them up.
  2. In a pan on high heat, add dash of olive oil and chopped onions. Then add your kale and chard stems to sauté for a few minutes.

After cutting the tougher stem off from my kale for salads and some recipes I decided to try to use my pasta measuring stick instead. Just pull the kale (or other tough leaves like collards I bet!) through one of the wholes and the stem is removed from the leaves!

A pasta measuring stick with holes, with a kale leaf inserted into one of the holes.

Food and Recipes Recipes VegetablesOctober 17, 2019
🍂
🎄