Using Mayonnaise for Creamy Mashed Potatoes

Category Cooking Tips
This is a guide about creamier mashed potatoes with mayo. Adding some mayonnaise to your mashed potatoes can make them creamy and delicious.

I like to make mashed potatoes with Miracle Whip (not mayonnaise!) instead of butter and milk. The rule is the same, use just what you need for the consistency/taste you want. I learned this many years ago from a great friend and always think of him when I make potatoes. Try it with just a single potato and a small amount, so if you don't care for it, you haven't "ruined" a whole batch! Trust me though, it's delicious!

Source: Long-ago friend

By BonnieAlice from Candia, NH

Top Comment

I stumbled on to this idea when I ran out of milk, I substitued sour cream for the milk. I still mash my potatoes with the sour cream and also add some dried dill to them really tasty.

I love to make mashed potatoes with Miracle Whip (not mayonnaise) instead of the usual butter/milk combo. Just add an amount to give the taste and texture you want, it's really different and delicious.

By BonnieAlice from Candia, NH

Try using low fat mayo' to make creamy mashed potatoes.

By B. from BC, Canada

Answers:

Creamier Mashed Potatoes With Mayo

In a hurry, and not enough mayo?, If you have it, use some fat free, or low fat sour cream. It adds a very mild flavor and moist taste that is as popular with us as is the mayo. (07/01/2009)

By Loretta

To make your mashed potatoes creamier, add a dollop of mayonnaise. I usually just add however much I want. If you are watching your weight you might want to substitute low-fat mayo instead.

By Karen Logan