Using Neosporin on Dogs

Category Health
Pet owners often wonder if an OTC first aid product is also safe to use on their pet. This is a guide about using Neosporin on dogs.

My 7 year Dachshund has a fungal condition on his paws. I have tried shampoo and oral fungal medication. But it persists. He licks his paws all the time. I want to know if Neosporin is good for this condition instead of oral medications.

By beatriz from Weston, FL

Answers

Hello,
Please take your fur baby to the Vet. A fungal infection can be treated with oral medication.

Can neosporin be used on my dog's eye injury?

Donna from LA

Answers

By Guest (Guest Post)

No -- it is not to be used in the eyes, according to the directions on the Neosporin tube.

I don't think I'd use people medicines on a dog anyway....might be best to take your dog to the vet and get proper treatment or atleast call.

Hum, wouldn't it be best to contact a vet? Take your dog in and let his eye injury which could be serious be treated professionally.

I wouldn't think people medicines would be good to use on a dog necessarily but neosporin is a antibiotic cream I think and not meant for the eyes.

By (Guest Post)

My Vet told me to use it on my dog and it worked fine, Don't think he would have told me to do it if it wasn't safe, I did it twice a day until the eye was completely healed, hope this helps you. Shannon

By Sue (Guest Post)

Neosporin is not to be used in eyes of any kind. There are special meds for eyes....it is best not to put anything in your dog's eye that you wouldnt put in your own eye.

By suzin (Guest Post)

Our Vet. told us to use neosporin on our dogs skin...he had scratched himself till it was bloody....but I sure wouldn't put it in eyes...even in a dog....Neosporin must be OK for a dogs skin....

Do not home treat. Go to your Vet. You could be doing danger to your dog.

Jennifer
Northern Virginia