Using Old Inkjet Printer Ink for Crafts

Can you make craft inks from old inkjet printer ink cartridges? You can take apart old felt tip pens and put the ink bit in rubbing alcohol to make your own alcohol inks. Can you do the same with printer ink, or does it need a different solvent?

Best Answer

Yes, I use them all the time. I use them on hand blown eggs. You can use them on white or brown blown eggs. I just soak a cotton rag with a small bit of the ink and rub it on the egg. You can put several colors on an egg and you can put one color over another.

You can look up whether the ink is water or alcohol soluble online by entering the ink number and letter.

Thanks I've been trying to find out whether they were water or alcohol soluble, but didn't know how to look it up.

I have never heard of it before and would recommend care before proceeding and doing a lot of due diligence. At work we had to have msds sheets on ink cartridges because they could be considered hazardous.

Msds is material safety data sheets and is an HR/legal thing to promote a safe work place. To me, I avoid excessive handling of anything with an msds just because that's me. Safely first! Maybe the manufacturer or store you purchased the item can tell you any risks.

This site adds an oil solvent and uses it to paint metal. massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/.../how-to-paint-metals-with-printers...

Cool!! The artist does warn that these inks are toxic so if anyone tries this the need to think about the safety tips given. This is not a good project for the kiddos :)

Not sure he is using computer printer ink... they look like maybe like screenprinting inks in jars?

Crafts AdviceJune 6, 2018
📓
🎂
🌻