Using "Oops" Paint

Category Painting
You can save money on paint by checking for the "oops" paint; paint that was incorrectly mixed. This is a guide about using "oops paint".

I buy the "Oops" paint at Lowes to use when I redo various pieces of furniture. I bought an old baby changing table for $5.00. I mixed a couple of the small paint containers and got a lovely light lilac. I painted the table, added a tension rod and a curtain then put it in my bathroom. I have made great colors from the paint and I have also painted chairs and outdoor furniture.

"Oops Paint" is what the home improvement stores call the paints that were tinted incorrectly and the original purchaser was unhappy with the color. You can generally get a gallon for anywhere from $3-5. Check in the clearance area or ask at the paint counter.

If you have a large room and will need more than one gallon, find the same type of paint and finish in a similar color and mix the two together for a consistent color on the walls.

By Diane from Wonder Lake, IL

This is a guide about buying mistake ("oops") paint. One way to save money on paint, if you are flexible on the color, it to buy the paint mistakes at your local home improvement store. Those mixing errors can be good for your pocketbook.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

When going to repaint a room, go to the oops pile at most home improvement stores. These are paints that were mixed but didn't sell. You can get these for cheaper prices.

By Carol from Massachusetts

I find that if you choose mis-tinted paint occasionally (paint that was tinted for someone else sold for much less) for working on accents in special areas of rooms and are discriminating in what you choose, you will save lots of money and find someone else's mis-tinted color is your special color. Give it a try!

By Bev

Editor's Note: Buying wrongly mixed or mis-tinted paint has been mentioned in the feedback. They sell it at Lowe's and Home Depot for $5 a gallon and less for smaller sizes. My kitchen was painted with some. It is fine paint that just didn't turn out the way "someone" wanted it to so be sure to check out values in mis-tinted paint. If you see a color you like, and have a good use for it, buy it!