AppliancesCleaning

Using Paper as Refrigerator Mats

Can I use paper instead of fridge mats in my fridge?

Maybe contact paper. Regular paper, sure, but it wouldn't do much help as far as protecting or being antibacterial. You'd have to keep changing it out.

I use paper towels and change weekly.

You can. Sure. It is your fridge!

You just have to figure out the best for your purpose.

I use paper towels all the time in my crisper section to pull out moisture (then give the towels a second life to wipe up dog messes before tossing).

I don't put anything on the glass shelves, just wipe them down often.

I would not use any color or sticky paper on the shelves as you could ruin the shelves (glass or plastic). Color bleeds and sticky leaves nasty residue. Plain white...what I call typing paper, can be used. It would just get dirty fast and not have a second life like paper towels do. I am all about multiple lives for things...which is why the white paper wouldn't work for me. I would never use already used white paper (anything with ink on it as you also risk having the ink stain your fridge...plus inks have nasty chemicals I wouldn't want near food.

What I call butcher paper (or I guess parchment) paper may also work to line things...but again, it would be a one and done....use and toss...which isn't in my wheelhouse as I like to reuse things as many times as is humanly possible!

Let me know what you decide!! Curious to hear what works best!

I use old tea towels to line the crispers and fabric placemats on the fridge shelves. They're absorbent and can be switched out with clean ones when they need to be laundered.

I like the ease and the protection, but I think you can do one better. Go to the Dollar Tree and get the thin (or thicker foam ones) placemats. Easy to clean, replace and they prevent spills from going through the paper. Hope that helps.