Using ThriftyFun

Category Searching
This is a guide about using ThriftyFun. Beginning in 1997 ThriftyFun members have been sharing inexpensive solutions to everyday problems and ideas for crafting, creative recycling, gardening, frugal living, recipes and more.

This is a celebration of ThriftyFun and our ThriftyFun Family. I've been working on it, off and on, for a couple of months and am finally happy enough with it to share. I hope you enjoy!

Ode to ThriftyFun

'T' is for Thrifty which means to be lean
'H' is for Hearts that are pure sweet and clean
'R' is for Receptive, what more could you want
'I' is for Ideal and indeed a very fun jaunt
'T' is for a Trusted place to share and to learn
'Y' is for Yarn, Yard, Yeast, or to Yearn
'F' is for Friendship and Folk who are just
'U' of course stands for every single one of Us

And last but definitely not at all the least

'N' is for Nesting help from West and from East

Deeli 11/7/10

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Editor's Note: D is for Deeli! ThriftyFun wouldn't be the same without you and your wonderful contributions. Thank you for sharing your poem with the rest of us.

I'm so sorry to report a problem that is affecting many of our readers. Thanks to the reports of several of our regular subscribers, we have discovered a major glitch in our newsletter subscription service. This is affecting people who have accidentally unsubscribed from our newsletters as well as people who have tried to change their email address for newsletter delivery. Both groups appear to be stuck in "Awaiting Confirmation." We are working with the provider, Constant Contact to resolve this as soon as possible but they are unable to give us any estimate as to how long this might take.

If you have recently stopped getting your emailed newsletters, try using the following link to resubscribe or to add a different email address to the system. If this does not work within 24 hours, email us and we will report the issue directly to Constant Contact.

All our newsletters are archived and are available to read online here:

Thank you so much for your patience in this matter. We hope this will be fixed promptly.

Jess and the rest of the ThriftyFun Team.

I find it interesting when someone lists their location along with their name, especially if they are in another country. Heck, I'm proud. I give my name and location. But heres the thing: So often questions are asked and and someone replies I dont know where you are, but . . . Or I dont know if youre in a large city or small town, but . . . . So many times, answers are predicated on your location. Especially if youre in another country. If youre from Nigeria or Australia, I cant very well tell you to go to your local Walmart, right? How about going in and beefing up your profile a bit - tell us where youre from.

And in your questions, if its of some import, tell us if youre in a small town or large city or anything pertinent to the question. In a recent question on roofing repairs, most questioners noted that they were seniors or on disability. Now thats important to the answers you might get. Make it a little easier on the people that want to help with answers.

We are happy to announce a new feature on ThriftyFun for people that track our site using an RSS reader. We now have RSS feeds for every topic. This means you can target which information you would like to read in your RSS reader. For example, if you just want to be informed when new articles are post in Gardening section you can subscribe to the Gardening RSS feed. For a list of available RSS feeds visit: http://www.thriftyfun.com/rss.html

Debra Frick0 found this helpful

We all love ThriftyFun, right? Lots of times I have thought, "WOW, I would never have thought about that", "What a cute idea" or "What a great tip". I vow that this is something I am not going to forget. And then I promptly forget what it was about. So I came up with these ideas of how to save the information that I need. ThriftyFun really is your best resource for many great ideas. They have thousands of tips that have been sent in from around the world.

Navigating

Let's talk about navigating the ThriftyFun site to find information that you need. On the top right hand side of the site you have a search box where you can type in what kind of information you are searching for. Let's type in "Cookies" and see what happens. When I typed in Cookies, I got over 300 results. So now I can just scroll down through the recipes to find which one I want.

Indexing

Now let's say I know the day that the tip ran that I want to find. Across the top, you have a bar when you can search the newsletters from 1999 on up to this year. Next to the home button is one that says "Index", click on it and it takes you to the page where newsletters are archived and tips are shown by date. Click on the year, which is in the first column to the left, and then click your way down through the months to see what is archived there. ThriftyFun.com - Index by Date

Organizing

So what is the best way to organize and find the information that you really need when you need it? I save all the newsletters and burn them to CD but that does not make it much easier to find what I need when I need it, although I love reading through the old newsletters. Here is what I do:

I set up a 3 ring binder with index sheets so I could organize each category. The categories are Crafts, Recipes, Party Ideas, and Entertainment Tips. Now when a Thrifty tip comes out, I have a place to put them.

On my computer in my word processing program, I have set up four files named TF Crafts, TF recipes, TF Party Ideas, and Entertainment TF Tips. To make a file in your word processing program, open the program: Go to File and click on Save As. Now name your file. Make sure that your program is going to save this file to My Documents so you will know where to find the file. Close the program. You now have a file in that program that you can go to whenever you need it. Now when there is something I really want to keep, I copy and paste it to my file. Not only do I have all my great tips in one file but now I can print it out and put it in my notebook for those times when someone else is using my computer. Plus, when I am working a craft, I love to have a picture to reference.

You could also use Notepad or Wordpad to save your tips. As above, you would just name the file with your heading and then click on Save As. You can keep this right on your desktop and just copy and paste right to this file. Just be aware that Notepad will not take pictures and that Wordpad, on my computer at least, turns Wordpad documents into Word documents. But Wordpad will copy text and paste pictures.

Editors Note: If you are a registered user, you can bookmark any article on ThriftyFun by simply hitting "bookmark" above the tip or recipe. It will ask you what folder to put this in from a list of general topics. If you are signed in when you submit a tip, request or feedback, they will also show up here. If you haven't checked out this feature, it can be very useful for organizing interesting tips.

ThriftyFun0 found this helpful

This page will feature a list of updates, changes and fixes to the ThriftyFun websites.

Welcome to our new site! We have worked hard to test the site and make sure that everything is operation. If you encounter any problems, please let us know. You can post them below in the feedback forum or email them to us by using our contact form.

Susan - Chief Cook and Bottle Washer0 found this helpful

We've been running ThriftyFun and it's origins for nearly 5 years now and are looking for ideas to make ThriftyFun and our newsletters better. What parts (newsletters, website sections) do you like and/or not like?

Because there are more and more sites of this type online, are there any ways in which you find it's existence still important. Please be honest. Because ThriftyFun has been based on reader participation, all of your comments positive or negative are very important to us. Please include how long you have been receiving our newsletters.

Answers

I have been getting ThriftyFun for almost a year now & like it so much that I have it saved in my Favorites. What I would like to see though is at the bottom of the page instead of 900 pages is some way to go to a page without having to use next all the time. I would like to see all the tips from #1 on but don't want to flip through all 900 pages..

Anonymous

I like the newsletter because it is small and it comes daily. There are
many sites which carry the same type of information. Most are bigger
and have more to offer - but I rarely find time to read them. When
Thrifty Fun comes I know it will only take a minute to read through it.

I also like the way you can get more immediate responses. On a website if someone asks a question it may sit there for months before a response is forthcoming. Here a Brainstorm is proposed and put out there.

Anyone who has something to offer does, it there are few responses you drop it and go on to something else. It stays fresh.
--
Peggy Hoehne, Contributing Editor

Anonymous

I really have to agree with Joan. There are times when I go to look-up and older tip that I know is around a certain post number and have to sit for some time just clicking next page after next page. Listing a page number/link at the bottom of the pages would be a great idea. Even if you only did one main page that had a link to each page of tips by number, that would be a little less work for you.
- Kathy

Anonymous

I also really enjoy the daily newsletter. It is also nice to know that you can go to the Website to look at past tips.

Maybe the website needs some kind of extensive index.

- Heather - Long Beach, CA

I love the Big Index and the Search Page. This will make it so much easier to look things up on the site. Thanks so much!!!

Anonymous

I like your little newsletter, and have added my 2 cents worth to the topics several times. But I hardly ever post to your site. I don't care much for the procedure you use. When I want to add something to a post, my desire is to do so when I am visiting the site. I don't like
having to go to my mailbox to find the URL that you send me to be able to post and then go back to the site to post....so most times, I just don't bother to add my post...but just leave the site. There must be a faster and simpler way to do this. I don't have to await an email message for the many other message boards, forums, and such that I post to. Well, that is my 2 cents worth.

- Harlean from Arkansas

I have only been using this site for a short time but I love it!!! The tips are so helpful and I have used many of them to save time and money! Keepup the great work !

I've been getting ThriftyFun for 6 months or so now and really love it too. The tips are great and I've used many of them but would prefer that the recipes weren't mixed in with them. Maybe the recipes could be on a separate page?
I look forward to getting my ThriftyFun everyday...Thanks

Heck with American Singles!! The site is great. But I do agree with the lady before me. I have never made it to the end because I'm new to compuers and it takes too long as it ties up my phone service. Is there any way there could be a main page that could allow you to choose the main things you would like to look up, and every time I click on to something I have to go all the way to the front again.Maybe I just don't understand what I should be doing.I don't think i've ever made it past the 800's and it drives me crazy--sometimes I get up at night to try and find something I might have missed. What can I say----I'M ADDICTED!!!!!!

A lot of the ideas are great, plus it gets me thinking about things that I can share with others. Love it!

I don't get the newsletter, because I want to read for fun and ideas only when I want to, not just because it's there. I'm easily drawn into spending more time on the computer than I should.

I only found this site recently and must admit I'm hooked! I enjoy getting the newsletter and look forward to it. I do admit that I probably spend too much time here looking over the posts but I have found sooooo many good ideas! I've posted many ideas and comments too. Keep up the good work!

I just love the website - all the tips and ideas! Not so good at understanding the mechanics of the computer though, so I'll leave the proposals for improvements to those who are.

i absolutely love thrifty fun the best hands down of all the websites. my only gripe is that you can't type in the page number of where you want to go back to get to the tips where i left off at. and i love to read them and see what i can learn. the only thing i have figured out to do (and it isn't foolproof) is to bookmark the page under favorites with the tip number at the end. then when i finish that day put in the new tip number where i left off. only problem is when i am sleepy and forget like i did yesterday, lol.

Editor's Note: Because new tips and content is added nearly everyday, another thing to do is go to our Index by Date http://www.thri  indexbydate.html

You can click on the year, month and day and see the tips from there. That way you could just note the last date that you covered and move on from there. If the date is gray, there is nothing new that day, if it is green, that is the date you are on.

Susan from ThriftyFun

How do you get to read the profiles of the people on here? I'm new to this, but I thoroughly enjoy this site and would like to read about the wonderful people that make this so interesting.

Thanks and have a great Monday!

Judith from Montandon, PA

I have a question. When I want to make a comment about something someone has written about, I make sure I am logged in, and still i get the message that I am logged on a guest. What gives?

Linda

Answers

If you have disabled cookies, your login won't be "remembered".

That is true, ThriftyFun relies on cookies, so make sure you have cookies turned on. If it still doesn't work, please let us know. If you don't know how to check if cookies are turned on, feel free to post that request as well and we will help you with that.

i also have the same problem. my cookies are enabled. i got a very nice email from thrifty fun but still cant resolve the problem. well at least i can post.

Sandy and Linda, what browser are you using?

I am new to this site and just love it! I enjoy reading the profiles of all the people that have set up an account, I just wish more people would tell a little something about themselves. It is really easy to set up an account for those of you that never have, and to write a little something about yourself just click on "Your Account" and type in something interesting about yourself; do you have children, pets, or hobbies? Share with us!

Persnickety Paula from Christmas, MI

Editor's Note: Thanks for mentioning it Paula, I think that's a great idea. You can have a subscription without having an account. To register click on the button on the top of the site. It's easy and spam free.

Answers

Welcome Paula! This is a great site. So much useful info. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Hi Paula!
Welcome to Us Thrifties! This is a great site! Can't wait to see more of your tips and ideas!
Jennifer CA

I was wondering how long it takes before a question is posted? I submitted a question and it hasn't been posted yet.

Thanks

I suggest very strongly that folks who submit tips also submit their names. I feel like I get know the people on this site because they do put their names. I like Robin's recipes. There are several Sandy's and we all use a different moniker.

By sandy

Editor's Note: We always encourage personalizing your posts. Many people have the same first name (like me, Susan) so it's good to think of something that helps identify you like "Susan from Washington State" or "Susan-WA." It's nice to know what state or country you are writing from.

Answers

I like this site because of the great people.
Robin, Teri,and so many more
your tips are great, recipes yummy and most of
all when I miss my family in CA ...I log on here
and enjoy this site. Animal pictures are so
cute and I look at them at night. My husband is
disabled so I am home alot and your site is
wonderful.
Annie~MO