Using a Juicer

Category Kitchen Tools
Juicing can be a fun way to consume more fruit and vegetables. This guide is about using a juicer.

Do you have the same problem? "Buy one get one free" deals at the grocer sounds great but not if the produce goes to waste! A whole watermelon is tempting (and sometimes cheaper than buying wedges) but then, since there are only two of us, it doesn't get completely eaten and is thrown out. Salad greens, tomatoes and squash (especially if you have a garden or are given produce by friends/co-workers) are other produce destined to go into my composting pile.

My newest frugal and healthwise challenge is to reduce the waste of food, particularly produce while increasing my healthy produce intake. I recently have started juicing produce before it goes bad. It's great if you don't want the work (I'm basically lazy, heheh) of canning, freezing or dehydrating. I got my juicer at a yard sale for added savings!

The great part about juicing is that you and your family will get all the health value of those great mixed veggies and fruits. There are free recipes on the internet for juiced produce on Rebootyourlife.com and other great sites.

You can mix together produce (veggies and fruit) that you or your family love or ones you might not eat otherwise, like beets. It's great for weight control too! Drink concentrated vitamins instead of caloried 'diet' shakes and drinks. Filling and healthy.

You could even freeze the juice to add to other drinks for a healthy vitamin boost. Oranges for the cold season perhaps? You can also add them to soups, stews or sauces as a healthy bouillon. The creative choices for recipes are endless.

As a lifetime frugal person, I challenge myself to spend less, waste less and use less. What's good for me is good for my Earth. Our country wastes more food than other counties eat!

Cheers!

By Donna from Sterling, PA

We go through a lot of juice because my husband makes his own wine. Friends give us their unwanted extra fruit. He uses not only grapes, but apples, pears, plums, cherries, strawberries, raspberries and elderberries. Even parsnips make good wine.

In order to get plenty of juice, we invested in a steam juicer. It is a large, three-tiered pot; really more like three pots in one. The bottom layer holds water. The middle layer catches the juice. It has an outlet with a rubber tube that has a clamp on it, so you can drain off the juice without having to lift the pot. You put fruit in the top layer, which is perforated to let the juice drip through. Then put the whole thing on a burner at medium to high and bring the water to a boil. Steam will start coming out the top. The heat cooks the fruit gently and extracts a rich, almost concentrated juice. After about an hour, we drain off the juice into hot, sterilized jars, put a hot lid on, and it seals itself as it cools. You could boiling water bath it for ten minutes if you want to be proper.

It would keep for years this way if we didn't use it up so fast. The plain juice is nice for breakfast. You can sweeten it if it's too tart. Sometimes I dilute mine to get fewer carbs or a lighter juice, because it really is thick. This is one of those investments that pays for itself the first year and then keeps on paying again and again. We have a Mehu Maija but there are cheaper versions available.

If anyone asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I would tell them I wanted a steam juicer and some little baby fruit trees. Over their lifetime, they will be worth thousands, and I don't know anybody who will give me thousands of dollars for my birthday. :-)

By Coreen from Rupert, ID

Has anyone used the Jack LaLanne's juicer? I am looking for a juicer that has a quiet operation and his infomercial claims this one is quiet. Please help before I purchase. Thanks.

By Onesummer

Answers

Anonymous

I enjoy my Jack LaLanne juicer; it is an excellent machine; easy to clean and store. And it performs just like the commercial states. You do have to peel citrus.

I also love my juicer. Mine is about 15 years old, still works like I bought it yesterday. Every kitchen appliance has a little noise-remember you are totally pulverizing fruits and vegies so of course there is going to be some sound to it. I say go for it-you won't be disappointed.

You might ask at:
http://www.grou  iancesAndRecipes

Linda :o)

You still have to periodically clean the strainer, it's a pain!

I bought one, but am unhappy with the cleanup; it's not as easy as is portrayed on TV. I hardly use it at all any more. You might be better off getting a heavy-duty blender!

I have a power juicer and want to know if you can put pomegranates in the juicer?

By Barb from Columbia, MO

Answers

Yes, It can easily extract the juice of pomegranate without peeling. Its yield of pomegranate juice is 400 ml Juice from 1 Kg. fruit. good luck.

With all the little seeds, I would think the basket area is going to get clogged really fast. This happened to me when I tried to use the dark purple skinned grapes that had seeds. It became too much of a nuisance to have to constantly empty and clean it.