Using an Electric Toothbrush

Many dentists recommend that their patients use an electric toothbrush. This is a guide about using an electric toothbrush.

We use battery powered toothbrushes but I could not find tooth brush holders to accommodate them. I bought cheap salt and pepper shakers that were about 4 inches tall. I tossed the cap, and glued ribbon around the threads at the top. Takes up very little counter space and looks nice.

By Ginny from New Oxford, PA

How can I harden bristles on an electric toothbrush?

By Nancy Feeney from Wood Ridge, NJ

Answers

I don't know that you can do that; however most electric toothbrushes offer "refill" brushes in a variety of bristle firmness. You should ask your dentist, however, as most dentists don't recommend any other than soft! Scrubs the enamel right off the teeth. and if you're over 30 and your gums are not in perfect health, they may have pulled back slightly above (or below, on the bottom) the strong enamel part of the tooth, and the exposed top or bottom of the tooth is much softer and more vulnerable, and you can grind grooves into them.

(If you're trying to whiten your teeth, there are toothpastes that can do that.)

Anonymous

As Jilson said, it's best to purchase soft bristles and if your bristles are simply worn out there are brush refills readily available at your local pharmacy at a very reasonable price for a pack of two or three. :-) I've had my electric toothbrush for over three years now and love it!