CollectiblesConsumer Advice

Value of a Mersman Glass Curio Cabinet

I am considering purchasing this Mersman curio cabinet from a garage sale. Any estimate of its value?

I would say $200 is a fair price.

Mersman furniture is well made and a piece like this generally holds its value over the years.

• I think the only way to answer your question would be to ask your reason for thinking of buying.
  • If it is to place in your home (and the overall condition is very good) then I think Judy's figure of $200 is good but if you are thinking of buying it to resell then maybe that figure is too high.
  • The cabinet looks good from the photo but only you can assess the true condition.
  • It is nice that it is in your area as any shipping cost would be too much to pay.
  • Hopefully you have a safe way to pick up and some strong reliable help.
  • Here is a link to some history about Mersman furniture.
  • www.antiquetrader.com/.../

I would do a search on Google and eBay to see what the going price for such a piece of furniture is, just remember that this is a "garage sale" and usually the seller is willing to let it go for a reasonable price just to get it out of the "garage" and it is worth the try to go with a low bid and see if they will except it.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to provide your views. I just bought it at an online garage sale in Toronto for $122 (Cdn) including tax (originally $135 + tax). I waited a couple of days and got a 20% discount.

That's how their online auctions work. I'm quite pleased. Will be picking it up on Sunday. It's for my own personal use to display some of my many knick-knacks that are now on shelves.