Value of J. Misa Collection Porcelain Dolls

Category Dolls
Porcelain dolls can be a beautiful addition to a curio cabinet or guest bedroom. Some dolls are also valuable. This is a guide about the value of J. Misa collection porcelain dolls.

I have a J Miss porcelain doll "Jessica" 25/5000. I can't find any information about her or any clue what her value is. Could someone help me please?

Answers

There were 5000 dolls in this run. It is not rare or unique. I have found similar J. Misa dolls on eBay for less than $40.

Even the life size ones, this one is as tall as a little kid

You have a beautiful doll but it is sad that it is estimated that over 90% of dolls available are worth no more than 20-25 dollars and usually less.

I hope you like the doll and wish to keep it or maybe have someone who would really like to have a doll like this.
here are current listings on eBay (your doll may not be here) that show an average of what sellers are ASKING for these dolls;

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4840...

www.ebay.com/.../112361786012?hash=item1a2948ca9c...

Here is a link to what some of these dolls actual SOLD for:

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&...

I have an old porcelain doll laying around from the J. Misa collection, but I have no information about it except that it is 38 inches tall. I'd like to know the value or possibly name of it.

Answers

These are mass-produced dolls. It is a large doll, so it is probably worth about $35.

She is usually called an Umbrella doll...becuase she carries one and I always thought because the dress bottom looks like an open umbrella.

I don't rmember their naming convention or if they just used numbers. Somehow numbers stands out in my mind.

I found a similar one in a purple dress that sold, no date, but looks recent, for 119.00. The bigger dolls have much more value than the small ones.

J Misa made a lot of dolls in the day and the taller ones have slightly more value than the smaller ones.

I don't remember their naming convention...in fact it may just have been numbers.

I can't find an exact match to yours, but a similar one in a purple dress sold for $119:

www.jmisadolls.com/index.php?main_page=product_info...

You can check eBay and google frequently to see if you can find an exact match for her...but I am guessing it will be selling around the same...maybe a little less because the blonde dolls now sell for less than dolls with brown hair (red haired seem to fetch the most probably because they made fewer.)

There is some neat pictures of other dolls (but no values) on this site:

jmisadolls.info/.../

If she were mine, I would start it in the 120 range and take best offer. Be sure to package her up for shipping and weigh her, measure box etc and put that all in eBay if you are selling there. Never let them figure postage costs--they are always wrong. You may need to click on the advanced selling tool to get to the place where you can put in your own shipping info. Well worth the time as you have to heavily package these items, and she is huge, so most likely there is going to be a balloon shipping fee and that will need to be paid by the buyer not you.

Post back how much you sell her for!! She is quite lovely!

I found this porcelain J. Misa doll that I had as a child. It doesn't have a name or number, but I have the certificate of authenticity.

I would like to know if anyone knows it's name and value.

Answers

This certificate is meaningless. There were 2000 dolls in this run alone.

This is a mass-produced doll. You can see them on eBay for less than $25

She is lovely. The COA usually has the doll's name on it if she was given one, although this may have been a few brands that just put the name on the box (I am hard pressed to remember that detail of when I used to sell them).

She looks like the brand you stated, J. Misa. She should have a stamp or marking on her neck under her hair to confirm that the brand on the COA is her brand.

If you have the box, that may add a tiny amount to her value, but sadly most of this brand of dolls sells for under $15 online. Sometimes dolls with red hair fetch slightly more (so if you are going to sell her, be sure to note red curly hair in the ad).

Here is a sample of those that recently sold. You can see at the bottom of the list there are several ringers in the brand that sold for more, but they are the larger dolls (over 20 inches tall), for some reason the tall dolls held their value more than the smalls.

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=J.+Misa+doll...

I always tell people, if you love the doll, hold on to her, she may someday be worth more, but most likely, because they were so heavily mass produced, it will take a longer time to increase in value.

Thanks for sharing!