Vegan French Toast with Strawberry Compote
This is an egg and dairy free French toast that has a crispy outside and custardy middle. Flax and nut milk are used in place of eggs and milk. Use any type of bread you like (I used sourdough here). You can add a bit of cinnamon in the mix if you like, but I wanted the homemade strawberry compote to shine.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup ripe strawberries, chopped
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbsp ground flax meal
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 slices bread
- Place strawberries, lemon juice, and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- After a couple minutes of cooking, use a potato masher to smash them so they release their juices.
- Simmer and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it thickens.
- In a bowl, mix together the almond milk, flax meal, vanilla and salt.
- Place in freezer for about 10 minutes to thicken up, then give it a quick whisk.
- Dunk the bread into the mixture on both sides. Do not soak.
- Fry them in a greased pan over medium heat for 3-5 minutes each side, until crispy.
- Plate and top with strawberry compote.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.