Vegan Orange Meringue Pie
Yes, it is possible! Even the meringue part can be made 100% plant based, as well as the crust*. And if you don't overcook the 'meringue', it tastes just as good.
The main difference between this one and the normal meringue pie is that the crust will be vegan, and the meringue is made with aquafaba.
egg yolk - 3 Tbsp. water, 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked vegan pie crust
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 Tbsp flax seeds, ground up
- 2 tsp grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup diced orange segments
- 1/2 cup aquafaba, which is the juice from a can of beans
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F.
- Roll out the crust and put in an oiled pie dish; put weights on it and bake for 10 minutes; then pull out, remove weights, and bake for additional 5 mins.
- Boil 1/2 cup of water and mix with ground flaxseed; stir and let it sit.
- In a small saucepan, stir together 3/4 cup sugar, 1/3 cup corn starch, and salt.
- Then mix in the orange juice, lemon juice, and water. Whisk in the flax seed mix. Add to saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thick and bubbly. This seemed to take me about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in orange zest and diced orange segments.
- Pour into prepared pie crust, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside to cool.
- After it has cooled, preheat oven and prepare meringue. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large glass or metal bowl, beat aquafaba until foamy. Gradually add 1/2 cup powdered sugar and cream of tartar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Lift your beater or whisk straight up - the aquafaba should form a sharp peak that holds its shape.
- Spread over pie, making sure the meringue completely covers the filling and meets the edges of the pie crust.
- Bake in preheated oven until meringue topping is golden brown. The original recipe (egg white based) said this should only take 15 minutes, but I did that and it was severely undercooked. Yet if you overcook aquafaba meringue it becomes hard and brittle. So the trick is to get it right. Only one time I managed to get it right, so it can be done. But it probably takes a lot of experimentation. Next time I do this I will try to bake for 25 minutes, or at least till it looks way browner than the picture here because undercooked it's kind of a disaster.
* No Fat Vegan Pie Crust <http://thriftyfun.com/_generator/tf_article.lasso?id=tf89451170>
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.