Orange Meringue Pie
I know there's such a thing as lemon meringue pie, but the other day I had a bunch of oranges so I decided to do an orange meringue pie instead. I did two versions: one a normal version and one vegan. They both were excellent.
Prep Time: 20 mins prep: 20 mins prep: 20 mins 20 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 3 hours (including cooling)
Source: All Recipes
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
- 3/4 cup cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cup cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 eggs, separated
- 4 Tbsp butter or margarine, cut into pieces
- 2 tsp grated orange zest; approx. from a whole orange
- 1/2 cup ½ cup diced orange segments
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Put pie weights and bake crust in the preheated oven until edge of crust is golden, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the foil and weights. Bake about 5 minutes more.
- In small saucepan, stir together sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Mix in the orange juice, lemon juice, and water.
- Whisk in the egg yolks.
- Cook this over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thick and bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in butter, orange zest, and stir in diced orange segments.
- Pour the mix into the prepared pie crust. Cover it with plastic wrap, and set aside to cool.
- When the pie filling has cooled to room temperature, preheat the oven and prepare the meringue. Meringue is very complicated and can sometimes fail even when best precautions are taken. One problem with meringue is it can shrink, or weep. Some folks also add a tablespoon of vinegar. I will try that next time because mine did shrink. But for the sake of this recipe, preheat oven to 350 degrees F and beat egg whites until they're foamy. Gradually add in the 1/2 cup sugar and cream of tartar. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread this over pie, making sure that the meringue covers the filling completely and meets the edges of the pie crust.
- Bake in preheated oven until meringue topping is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.