Orange Meringue Pie
Gold Answer Medal for All Time! 617 Answers
June 9, 2020
Read More Comments
I know there's such a thing as lemon meringue pie, but the other day I had a bunch of oranges so I decided to do an orange meringue pie instead. I did two versions: one a normal version and one vegan. They both were excellent.
Prep Time: 20 mins prep: 20 mins prep: 20 mins 20 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 3 hours (including cooling)
Source: All Recipes
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
- 3/4 cup cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cup cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 eggs, separated
- 4 Tbsp butter or margarine, cut into pieces
- 2 tsp grated orange zest; approx. from a whole orange
- 1/2 cup ½ cup diced orange segments
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Put pie weights and bake crust in the preheated oven until edge of crust is golden, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the foil and weights. Bake about 5 minutes more.
- In small saucepan, stir together sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Mix in the orange juice, lemon juice, and water.
- Whisk in the egg yolks.
- Cook this over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thick and bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in butter, orange zest, and stir in diced orange segments.
- Pour the mix into the prepared pie crust. Cover it with plastic wrap, and set aside to cool.
- When the pie filling has cooled to room temperature, preheat the oven and prepare the meringue. Meringue is very complicated and can sometimes fail even when best precautions are taken. One problem with meringue is it can shrink, or weep. Some folks also add a tablespoon of vinegar. I will try that next time because mine did shrink. But for the sake of this recipe, preheat oven to 350 degrees F and beat egg whites until they're foamy. Gradually add in the 1/2 cup sugar and cream of tartar. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread this over pie, making sure that the meringue covers the filling completely and meets the edges of the pie crust.
- Bake in preheated oven until meringue topping is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
2 More Solutions
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Bronze Recipe Medal for All Time! 64 Recipes
October 13, 2006
Combine orange juice, sections, grated rind, sugar and cornstarch. Cook on low heat until clear. Add a little hot mixture to beaten egg yolks.Read More...
Yes, it is possible! Even the meringue part can be made 100% plant based, as well as the crust. And if you don't overcook the 'meringue', it tastes just as good.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.