Waterproofing Cookie Tins?

I would like to water proof/moisture proof some cookie tins so that I can repurpose them for flour and sugar canisters. Obviously, whatever I use needs to be food safe :) I also need to figure out how to have the lids seal to the sides better to help keep out air and moisture. Any suggestions are appreciated!

I would like to water proof/moisture proof some cookie tins so that I can repurpose them for flour and sugar canisters. Obviously, whatever I use needs to be food safe :) I also need to figure out how to have the lids seal to the sides better to help keep out air and moisture.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Answers

Best Answer

I do not believe you can find a food safe medium to seal this type of container. Also, even if you did find something the constant rubbing of the the top - opening and closing - would rub off anything you 'painted' it with. - if we're talking about the same kind of containers.

I have a lot of these - some were given as gifts so I like to keep them. When my top shelves are full I sometimes take the gallon size zip lock freezer baggies and put one or two inside so I can use them for other purposes. I also add a couple of paper towels on the bottom just in case moisture seeps in.
If the tops are not sealing well, I sometimes place Saran Wrap over the top and that works also.
Food does seem to keep for a while when stored in this manner.

Best Answer

I have used tins for baking supplies/flour/sugar/etc for many years. It has never been a problem for me to just put the bag in there

If you can be sure that it will absolutely not in any way touch the flour/etc, why not use some dessicant packages? You can buy them here www.amazon.com/.../ (Affiliate Link)
or they also come a lot in pill containers or sometimes with new shoes

this should solve your problem

I am very anti chemical so to me there is no safe way to treat these to make them food safe. Any paints or chemicals can leech into your food.

What you could do that would be the safest, is to find glass jars with lids that fit inside the tins and use the tins just for the decorative outside.

Someone else may have a solution using chemicals--just be safe!!

If they held cookies, which is a food, and you want them to hold dry items like flour and sugar, why cant you use them the way they are?

Food and Recipes Storage Dry StorageMarch 3, 2021
🍀
🐰
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Waterproofing-Cookie-Tins-1.html