We Went to Paris for $20

contest winner icon
We flew to Paris and spent nine days for a mere $20. Wait. What? Yes, we really flew from Missouri to Paris, France and had a vacation of a life time on a $20 dollar bill. Now before you call me a liar, you should know it took 5 years of me putting a $20 dollar bill into our Paris account each week to get the $5,000 it took to cover all of our expenses.

I know you are disappointed now, but stop and think about it for a moment. All you have to do is put a single $20 bill away each week and you, too, can have a vacation of a lifetime. It really is that simple and easy. You do not need to sell a kidney, get a second job, or stop giving to charity. Just deposit $20 a week into a savings account.

We flew to Paris, France and spent a glorious nine days in the city of romance. The balcony from our room gave us a perfect view of the Eiffel tower. The people, food, art, history, and atmosphere were intoxicating. Notre Dame, Louvre, Champs Elysee, and the world famous Cordon Bleu were just a few of the places we adventured to. A train ride through the country side to visit Versailles was breath taking. Eating at the world famous Le Train restaurant will forever be a highlight on our journey. Dining at cafes while people watching from the street was relaxing and addicting.Listening to the talented musicians in the subway was inspiring, but the strolls in the moonlight on the city streets made me feel that anything was possible.

Because I put $20 away each week, I didn't read about the Mona Lisa in an art book, I saw it in person. I stood in Napoleon's apartment. My husband kissed me on a bridge over the river as snow slowly fell from the European sky. I stood at Bob Marlee's grave, as well as, Chopin and countless other historical figures. I cooked food where Julie Child created feasts. I touched, tasted, smelled, saw, and heard the brilliance of a culture that touched my soul.

We still go to the beach each year and we have taken the kids to Disney World, because we budget for a family vacation each year. But, my $20 trip is our private time away from work, kids, and responsibilities. Going to McDonalds once a week, buying Starbucks before work, or a dream vacation? How do you want to spend $20 each week?

Great article! I am going to start doing this.

Congratulations; however, you are assuming that $20 per week is easy. For some people, it would definitely mean getting a second job. Do the math - $20 per week is $100 dollars per month, and that is a lot of money for many people.

Especially if you are on a limited income and can't even get enough groceries for the month and pay all your utilities, etc. . .

Wish I'd seen this earlier-my church group is going to Rome next spring, and I won't be able to go. But if I start saving now, maybe I can go on the next one...

I noticed where you live, one of my favorite vacation places in America Anne

While for some, $20 a week is a stretch, it highlights the importance of budgeting and goal-setting! Anything is possible that you set your mind to.

Great idea, just goes to show that persistence pays off and good things come to those who wait. You earned every bit of that vacation, good job!