Week 2: Spicy Beef and Bean Sprout Soup
Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,246 Posts
February 1, 2018
This is one of my favourite soups for the winter months. When I have a cold, it really clears up my sinuses. The bean sprouts are full of vitamins and fiber, and make a fantastic replacement for noodles.
If you can't find dried sea kelp, some good substitutes are dried porcini mushrooms or bonito fish flakes. You can also leave it out altogether and it still works great.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 lb beef steak
- 16 ounces bean sprouts
- 1/2 small onion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp chili sauce
- 1 strip dried sea kelp (kombu)
- 6 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the beef into thin strips and place in a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, sesame oil, dash of salt and pepper, and garlic. Mix well and set aside.
- Bring a heavy bottom pan to medium heat. When it's hot, add the beef.
- When beef starts to brown, add the sliced onions and cook for a couple minutes.
- Add the chili sauce and mix well.
- Pour in water and add the dried sea kelp. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and use a spoon to scoop out any brown foam that forms on top.
- Remove the sea kelp.
- Add the bean sprouts to the pot, cover, and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and stir well. Add salt and pepper if needed, then serve.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.