Week 8: Desperation Winter Soup
This week's soup can be customized based on what is in your pantry, produce drawer and freezer. Pretty much any combination of vegetables and spices can be used for this basic but hearty crockpot soup. Great for these last few weeks of winter.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I was desperate, nothing for dinner, super busy day. So I hunted through my pantry and fridge to see what I could throw into the crockpot on high and hope it cranked out something good. To my great delight, the house began to smell wonderful. When I ladled the contents into my families bowls, all I heard was mmmm and yum.
Among other things, this desperate but successful winter soup has sweet potatoes and split peas. Lots of savory herbs, I am definitely making this again!
Total Time: About 20 minutes prep
Yield: About 10 servings
- 5 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups dry split peas
- 4 carrots, peeled and coined
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 13 cups chicken broth (I make mine using bullion cubes - 1 cube dissolved in 1 cup boiling water = 1 cup broth)
- Place all of your ingredients into your crockpot. Mix well.
- Turn setting to high. I checked mine exactly 3 hours and 46 minutes after turning it on. It probably would have been ready to eat after 3 hours on high. If you want to cook this on low, I would cook it for 6-8 hours.
February 18, 20150 found this helpful
Glad to know I'm not the only one who throws things in the crockpot and hopes for the best! Ha ha! That looks delicious.
February 21, 20150 found this helpful
Looks good. Need this right now.
February 25, 20190 found this helpful
My In Laws called it garbage soup when they cleaned out the fridge of this and that every Friday. Nothing garbage about it as they had a wonderful garden to raid for fresh ingredients. Sure do miss them.....
March 9, 20190 found this helpful
I had a friend who called this musgo. Everything that must go