Week 8: Desperation Winter Soup
Silver Post Medal for All Time! 293 Posts
February 18, 2015
I was desperate, nothing for dinner, super busy day. So I hunted through my pantry and fridge to see what I could throw into the crockpot on high and hope it cranked out something good. To my great delight, the house began to smell wonderful. When I ladled the contents into my families bowls, all I heard was mmmm and yum.
Among other things, this desperate but successful winter soup has sweet potatoes and split peas. Lots of savory herbs, I am definitely making this again!
Total Time: About 20 minutes prep
Yield: About 10 servings
- 5 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups dry split peas
- 4 carrots, peeled and coined
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 13 cups chicken broth (I make mine using bullion cubes - 1 cube dissolved in 1 cup boiling water = 1 cup broth)
- Place all of your ingredients into your crockpot. Mix well.
- Turn setting to high. I checked mine exactly 3 hours and 46 minutes after turning it on. It probably would have been ready to eat after 3 hours on high. If you want to cook this on low, I would cook it for 6-8 hours.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.