Week 40: Moroccan Vegetable and Bean Soup

Category Bean
This vegan soup contains hearty vegetables and warm spices that add a North African flavor. It's perfect for a cold and rainy fall evening and leftovers are even better.

You don't need a leg of lamb or pieces of chicken to pull out the flavours of Morocco in a dish. This vegan friendly soup is filled with delicious and heart-healthy chunks of veggies and beans. You can use any types you want, but my soup's stars were cauliflower and lima beans, which are full of protein, fiber and vitamins!

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 35 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

Yield: 6 servings

• 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 carrot, chopped
  • 1 green or white zucchini, chopped
  • 1/4 head cauliflower, chopped
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp ground turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground pepper
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 can(14 oz) diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
  • 1 can(15 oz) lima beans, drained
  • 1 lemon

1. Add a bit of oil to a large pot over medium heat and cook onions and carrots, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
  2. Add zucchini and cauliflower to the pot and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Add cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, salt and pepper to the pot.
  4. Cook, stirring constantly, for one minute, making sure spices cover all the veggies.
  5. Mix in broth, water, tomatoes, and parsley. Increase heat to high, bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes.
  6. Add the drained lima beans to the pot and cook another 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste, if necessary. Serve in bowls with a hefty squeeze of lemon juice.

This looks really yummy. I love lima beans too, so this will be a new way to prepare them with all the other wonderful veggies.

Thank you. :)

I'll try this, soon, and I have some dried lima beans to cook, so I'll sub those for canned. Looks yummy!

You are so welcome. You know, I never liked lima beans until a couple years ago. I think I just swore them off as a kid. So many years wasted! ;)

Yay!!! Don't forget to add cooking time for the dried ones! Enjoy!

Food and Recipes Recipes Soups BeanOctober 6, 2019
🎃