Weeping Cherry Suckers?

Will a weeping cherry tree sprout back from the trunk if cut down?

It will sprout back, but will never be the same as before. Often depending on the cut, the stump gets a little sick from this , and may take more time to recuperate from this cut down!

So I am assuming suckers and runners are the same thing--where you get a baby tree sprout when you cut a tree down that appear all over your yard--anywhere were there were roots? We call them runners--so if this is the same thing then what I can tell you is this does happen sometimes.

I am not sure why sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. The only way to get them to stop is if you remove the stump completely and dig up the roots.

Maybe other people here have better ways to make the runners stop. This is the only thing that worked for us.

I do not believe it will 'sprout' back from the actual trunk but runners or suckers may appear from the sides/roots.
A sucker may grow tall but I do not believe it will ever produce a true tree but I could be wrong. Some say you can cut a sucker and plant it and grow a nice tree but I have not seen this happen.

Here are comments from others:

"Cherry trees grow shoots from the base of the trunk, often referred to as suckers. These suckers can be cut off at the base and will easily grow roots and start growing a new tree.
The stump may well sprout new shoots, but the likelihood of them being the same as what was on top is very low."

www.quora.com/Can-a-weeping-cherry-tree-grow-back...

Recently we had to cut down one of our large food bearing trees in the yard because it was right on the property line and our neighbor wanted to put up a fence. After this we have tons of sprouts coming from the root base of the tree. This is actually how the tree was grown in the first place.

The other tree we cut down was starting to rot and needed to be removed because it was dangerous. The root base of the tree sprouted other small trees from the roots and we allowed one of them to grow again. The other ones we removed. So this should grow again from the sprout that is coming from the roots of the tree.

In my experience, it will probably grow back, unless you removed the root structure. But be warned! Many weeping cherry trees have been grafted onto a more hearty trunk. The suckers that come up could be from that original tree and may not flower or have the airy weeping branches.

Here is the weeping cherry in my front yard. You can see how the trunk is very straight and then there is a knotty mess before the branches start. That is the graft. We get little suckers that grow near the trunk but they mostly get mowed down before they are big enough to be a problem.

Home and Garden Gardening TreesApril 10, 2020
😷
🌻
🐛
📓
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Weeping-Cherry-Suckers.html