Growing a Weeping Cherry Tree

Category Trees
A popular ornamental fruit tree that is appreciated for its beautiful spring flowers. This guide is about growing a weeping cherry tree.

These beautiful ornamentals are subject to damage and neglect that can put them in danger of dying. This is a guide about saving my weeping cherry tree.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I planted a wheeping cherry tree in May and it had a few green leaves on it until about end of July. I water it as I should, but I'm concerned that it has died.

Is there any way to tell if it's dead or should I wait it out? There's little green shoots on it so I'm not sure.

Answers

Weeping Cherry Tree:

1. The new growth I see on the tree is an indication tht the tree isn't dead.
  2. Whenever any tree is transplanted into the ground, it goes into shock.
  3. Depending on the tree it can take several months for the tree to start growing new leaves.
  4. Ad

5. This tree needs to have plenty of sunlight in order to thrive and grow correctly.
  6. You need to keep the soil well drained for this type of tere.
  7. Also, you need good air flow around the tree to prevent diseases.

If there are little green shoots there is still life in the tree, I would wait it out and see how it does. Im sure the leaves just fell off maybe due to the stress of moving or perhaps they are supposed to fall off and will again grow in the spring.

Your tree is alive! I see green shoots all over. Keep doing what you are doing.

This mini weeping cherry tree was not so mini so I cut air branches off. Will it grow and if not can I use tree hormones?

Answers

Best Answer

If you pruned in early spring or late fall, there should be no issues. If not, it might not bloom this season.

My weeping cherry tree has 2 completely different kinds of leaves on it. The larger leaf is coming from 1 branch out of the lower trunk area which is connected. The smaller leaves make up the entire tree. The leaves are totally different as if from 2 different trees, but not.

Answers

The lower branch is growing from the root stock, hence the different, larger leaves. Weeping cherry trees are the result of grafting the weeping variety onto a straight trunk of a different variety of cherry.

You can prune off the lower branches that grow from below the graft to eliminate the leaf difference and to retain the shape of your tree.

I love these trees and miss having one!

Most are grafted which can cause all kinds of wonky things...this site explains it better than I can:

homeguides.sfgate.com/grafting-weeping-cherry-62814.html

Enjoy the tree and its unique characteristics!!

Your weeping cherry tree is a grafted tree and the growth is an off-shoot of the "mother" tree and should be removed ASAP or it can damage the looks of your cherry tree.

• When the rootstock sends out a shoot and its not removed, you can get a tree that has weeping branches and unwanted upright branches.
  • Notes from a gardener website:
  • "If your weeping cherry tree is grafted, make sure that you check for signs of new growth around the graft joint as well as on the branches. New growth that occurs at the graft joint (or below) often results in upward-growing branches, and if left unchecked these branches can become tangled in the crown of your tree and negatively impact the weeping look of your tree.
  • Remove any branches growing from the graft point using pruning shears or a handsaw, cutting close to the graft joint without cutting into the joint itself. Remove all "suckers" growing below the graft joint."
  • Here are 2 very good instructional websites as it is important to know when and how to prune for the best looking trees.
  • www.gardeningknowhow.com/.../pruning-weeping-cherry.htm
  • homeguides.sfgate.com/care-weeping-cherry-tree-49956.html

Trees and roses are often grafted. That is why you see two different leaves

Yes....I'm keepn that branch..

Omgosh....thanku.
I was goin2keep it.
So happy you both took the time2 explain.
Thx again

Something is eating my little weeping cherry. What is a good pesticide?

By Chebai

Answers

You need to find out what it is first. Pesticides will get different critters, some will work on aphids and some wont. Some on grubs, and some wont'. If you can find what it is take it to your local extension office and they can identify it for you.

I would spray with insecticidal soap and see how that works

I'm a 'thrifty' person by habit, scavenging for seeds whenever possible. This gives me a wide variety of flowers, bushes, and trees to enjoy the following spring. However, this year I was trying to get seeds from a weeping cherry tree and couldn't see any seeds beneath the tree. Yet, just along the driveway edge (beneath the overhang of the cherry tree boughs) were a multitude of sprouts with leaves that look a great deal like those of the weeping cherry tree.

Is it possible that these sprouts are indeed the 'offspring' of the mature weeping cherry tree? I have looked on the Internet for some kind of information to help me identify these sprouts. But nothing I've read says that the tree throws it's seed and the sprouts grow beneath it all in one season. Have I happened upon a gold mine of weeping cherry trees, or, will I be the one weeping when these things mature into some huge ordinary tree?

Verita from Mansfield, OH

Answers

Some trees spread by shoots coming off of the roots. That may be what you have. Can you post a picture of your tree?

I thought those weeping tree forms were grafted onto a tree trunk of upright type stock. Hey, just sprout it in a big container and if you don't like it, give it as a gift or toss it.

Q: I am curious to know how many seasons it will take for my Weeping Cherry to begin blooming. It was purchased as a seedling 6-7 months ago and it's being grown into a bonsai.

Steven Sullivan

Hardiness Zone: 8b

D_Mcpasterfield from Austin, Texas

A: D_Mcpasterfield,

I'm certainly no Bonsai master (although I'm a big admirer of the art), but in most cases, weeping cherry trees bloom by the age of 4 to 5 years old. That is, of course, assuming that their growing requirements have been met satisfactorily for the years leading up to their first bloom. Any number of environmental factors may work to slow down (or even speed up) this process. But even more so than environmental factors, genetics play a large role in determining when flowering trees first flower. Some trees, like some people, are "late bloomers." Growing a weeping cherry tree as a bonsai specimen is really no different than growing one in your backyard in terms of development. The only difference is that bonsai artists go to great lengths to control the size and shape of their trees. So the age at which your weeping cherry will bloom for the first time is dependant entirely on genetics and how well you meet its requirements for growth, independent of the bonsai conditions under which the tree is grown.

Ellen

Answers

I bought a weeping cherry tree last fall. It was problably 3 or 4 years old. Mine bloomed this spring and I believe it bloomed last year while it was in its pot.
I live in Northeastern PA.
Zone 5

good to know I live in NE PA also. I worked at Marywood University and it was the first time I seen them. they are a awesome addition, I am doing everthing flowering to get my bees happier. Anyway how long doesit take for them to get a couple feet tall? I have 9 acres and want to make sure they dont get mowed down.

I live in Southern Indiana, climate zone 6b. I planted this beautiful tree on March 28, 2016. It bloomed beautifully! The hole was twice as big as the container and I mixed together 1/2 Miracle Gro potting soil with the dirt that came out of the hole. The second pic is May 3, 2016. On May 10 the tree was full of leaves and even had about 15 cool little cherries on it, until the birds ate them all! About two weeks ago the leaves started turning yellow then brown. Today, May 27, 2016, there are a few green wilted leaves left. I watered it well since it was put in the ground, (except during heavy rain days).

The rains here have been absolutely horrible. I believe it's been so wet it has drowned? I can bring it back to the store, but there are no nice ones left. This happened so fast! Is the tree dead? I don't think it could just 'keel over' like this. The tree is not as small as it looks, it was so vibrant and lively just two weeks ago. Is there anything I can do to bring it back from the 'hell' that it's in if it's not dead? Most all of the branches are not brittle and still bend. This was my 'center piece' in my new garden and I don't want to wait a year to see if it's a goner. Please help my poor little tree. :( The picture in the middle was just 14 days ago.

Answers

I personally don't think your tree is dead. I do think that you need to take the tree out of the ground and check the roots. You can plant this in a large container to bring it back to life. Afterwards, cut back all the branches to start new leaves growing on the tree.

Check the roots of your tree for ants. During a lot of rain ants can go underground and attack the roots of your plants. By uprooting this plant, checking the roots, and planting it in a pot should help.

What is the hardiness of the weeping cherry tree and will it grow in Colstrip Montana?

By Linda

Answers

They grow in zones 4-8. You are in zone 4, so it should grow.

I planted a weeping cherry tree 2 months ago. All the leaves fell off after planting. I have little shoots coming out at the bottom of the trunk but nothing but bare branches at the top. It looks almost like it is dead. Any suggestions for what to do? I don't want to lose it.

By Jean from Beachwood, NJ

Answers

It probably is dead. If there are no buds on the branches its gone. Typically this kind of tree (ie weeping variety) is grafted onto a parent stock -- and the shoots coming from the base will be that parent stock and will not have the weeping habit. The parent tree may not be a cherry (although most likely) -- it could also be another member of the cherry or Prunus family.
If you only bought it two months ago, and from a reputable nursery they should be willing to exchange it or give you a credit. Most nurseries give a 1 year guarantee. Good Luck

I've had a weeping cherry for about 4 yrs. and it has done wonderfully. This spring was long and cold, it budded but did not blossom or produce any leaves, but branches still seem to be snappy.

By Chelly

On the base of my cherry tree which we have had planted for approx. 2 or 3 years is a bubbling of a sap substance. Is this OK? It's a Snow Mountain variety and very healthy.

By CAROL