Saving My Weeping Cherry Tree

Category Tree Health
These beautiful ornamentals are subject to damage and neglect that can put them in danger of dying. This is a page about saving my weeping cherry tree.

I have this tree, that I planted about 4 years ago. Last year and this year there have been no flower buds and not great leaf growth either. What is needed to fix this? Is there a fix? What is wrong?

Answers

Best Answer

There are several reason why this is happening:

Dry soil conditions will cause this to happen. When the soil is extremely dry the leaves will curl up and drop off. it is also more prone to bugs when it is like this and can cause an issue.

The trees grow best in acidic soil where the PH value is up. You may need to get some food to feed the tree to bring up the acidic content in your soil.

Check for bugs such as aphids this can also cause your problem. There are a few things you can try. Here is a link to a good site that will help you out and let you know exactly what you need to buy to help your tree. homeguides.sfgate.com/weeping-cherry-not-thriving-82273...

Best Answer

That is a sad looking tree but if you are inexperienced with caring for this tree I would suggest you do a lot of research before you do anything as you could easily damage or even kill this tree.

Are you saying the tree bloomed before last year but started looking like this last year and no blooms for 2 years?

From the picture I cannot tell which type of tree you have so you should read up on this before attempting any 'repair'.

If you really want to bring your tree to a better life you may need to hire someone that can prove they have professional knowledge in knowing how to care/prune this particular type of tree.
It may cost more than you would like to spend but may be worth it is you really like the tree.

You can also send several pictures (close-ups also) to your County Extension Office and ask for advice. They are familiar with this type of problem.

npic.orst.edu/.../countyext.htm

I have some links listed below that might help you understand how involved this can be as we know nothing about how you are watering your tree or do you use mulch correctly or when (or if) you fertilize and what type do you use or if your tree has ever been pruned and maybe even more but especially which type of tree you have.

Several links but some different information in each site.
Some sites have a link to ask questions also.

happyhautehome.com/.../

www.kentuckyliving.com/.../weeping-cherry-tree-blooming-dead...

www.gardeningknowhow.com/.../pruning-weeping-cherry.htm

www.wikihow.com/Care-for-a-Weeping-Cherry-Tree

I had to prune off the dead wood, so all of the weeping arms were cut back. It is just a trunk about 1.5 metres tall. The trunk seems healthy, but the weeping branches all died. Can I save this tree? What can you recommend?

Answers

You will have to be patient and wait. As long as the trunk is alive, you should get new growth, although it may take some time.

My husband and I are moving into a new home. In the front of the house, there is what appears to be a weeping cherry tree. I think the limbs have been trimmed too much (to the trunk) and it basically looks like there is a trunk in the ground. The tree looks like it is pretty mature. I would say it is about 20 or so inches around the trunk. I would love to save it. Any suggestions?

By JessicaRae from Wheelersburg, OH

Answers

Anonymous

The tree has been pollarded. My neighbor does this with her mulberry every year, and it comes right back. By now, you may well have a full, pretty tree out front. My dad hates to prune, and his mulberry is probably 50 feet tall and across, or more.

By Ellen Brown

Question:

My weeping cherry was blown over during one of our severe wind storms. It's a year old from planting. It still has some roots. I put it in a bucket of water and plan to add some cotton burr compost to beef up the very sandy soil before replanting. Does it have a chance of surviving? It has been a very healthy tree and I'd hate to lose it. Any suggestions?

Marilyn from Sand Springs, OK

Answer:

Marilyn,

I don't want to be discouraging, but the chances of your cherry tree recovering from such severe trauma are slim to none. Many times after storms trees are left leaning in their planting holes. They rarely survive as the root damage is just too great. Since you put your tree in a bucket of water, I'm going to assume that is was completely ripped out of the ground. If it had only been leaning, at least you could have tried to pull it back into place vertically. Having only "some" roots left does not sound good either.

The fact that your tree is young increases its chance for survival-however remote that is. You can try replanting it, just make sure you stake the tree while its roots are recovering in order to prevent it from blowing over again.

If your tree was doing well before the storm, I would not advise amending the soil in any way when replanting. The tree has already suffered the severest of traumas (being uprooted), the addition of fertilizer or soil amendments now will only add more stress. Fertilizer is an especially bad idea, because it promotes rapid growth that a compromised roots system is probably not going to be able to support.

Watch water levels closely after replanting. Make sure it receives 1/2 to 1" of water a week, but avoid over watering.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Answers:

Saving My Weeping Cherry Tree

Hi. If you can get some Super Thrive at a hardware store, nursery etc., our Walmart even carries it, follow the directions and it should work miracles. It has for our weeping willow that was damaged in a terrible storm we had here in December. Good luck. :) (06/13/2008)

By sodagirl

Saving My Weeping Cherry Tree

You certainly have nothing to lose by replanting it and hoping for the best. I would check with your nursery for fertilizer suggestions so the roots will regenerate quickly and settle in before fall. (06/14/2008)

By Marna

Saving My Weeping Cherry Tree

When you replant, don't amend the soil. Fertilizer is okay, but amending the soil will prevent the roots from spreading out. When you amend the soil, the tree roots don't grow out and away from the trunk in search of nutrients, and as a result, make it more unstable in windy conditions. A tree should be able to grow just fine in whatever kind of dirt you have. If not, then it's not worth trying to make it grow there. Good luck! (06/15/2008)

By Beth

Home and Garden Gardening Trees Tree HealthJune 17, 2017
😷
📓
🐛
😎
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Saving-My-Weeping-Cherry-Tree-2.html