What Are No See Ums?

A woman with an itchy spot on her arm.Can someone please tell me what noseeums are? The dictionary is no help. I assume they're some kind of insect, and would like a more scientific name. Also I assume they're something we don't have in southern California. Thanks.

By Jean Cheesman

Answers

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 267 Posts
Best Answer

Noseeums is a catch name for any small flying insect, like "bug". They are also called midges and sandflies. Here is a Wikipedia article about them. Be glad you don't have to deal with them as they are very unpleasant.

en.wikipedia.org/.../Midge

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 969 Posts

www.google.com/search?q=no+seeums&rlz=1C1CHNU_enUS471US471...

This will help.

Don't feel bad. I didn't know what they were either so I looked them up. They are a small bug that look almost like a gnat. I live in the Midwest and we don't have them either. Gnats yes, noseeums, no.

Try looking them up on Google. They generally provide your info with pics. Hope this helps you out. :-) California sounds lovely right about now. It's getting cooler here!!

no-see-um is supposedly the name given to tiny gnats by Native Americans years ago.

They are like mosquitos, but so small they go through screens and you can't see them! They bite and they leave you sore and itching for weeks. We moved from San Diego to Florida a year ago!

No, we never had any insects problem in California. It's terrible here in central Florida. We are thinking to move back where it's dry!

Anonymous

The only place I have encountered noseeums in in the VIRGIN ISLANDS. I lived in Florida there are mosquitos and sand fleas but these buggers are way different. They leave blood blisters that grow bigger. The bites I got in Saint John took 3 months to heal. I have horrible scars on my legs from them. I was covered in deet- it does not repell these sand flies!

Hello, we've had so many enquiries about no-see-ums in the last twelve months that we put together an easy quick-read guide on our blog which tells you, and shows you, just exactly what no-see-ums are. We also advise how to deter them, what to do and what no to do if you are bitten.

Sure this will be of help to many of you where these airborne bugs inhabit, best wishes and you can read it here: thesolidbarcompany.com/.../67462211-now-you-see-um-now-you-dont

Anonymous

Sand fly

they certainly DO live in southern california and i am getting eaten alive!! for years i thought i was allergic to fleas, as i always had a dog as a family pet. i thought maybe i had a blood type or ph level that made me particularly sensitive to them, and would spend MANY sleepless nights, and many itchy weeks covered in bites.

then recently, i was told they were no see ums....all the symptoms and testimonials i read described it perfectly. i am going to try the homemade recipe for the repellent made w/equal parts witch hazel with (original) listerine, with a few drops of teatree oil added. i sure hope it works!!

lol, yes, they actually do live in Southern California. I have been eaten alive several times in Long Beach area. They are miniature mosquitoes, but you don't know you've been bitten until the next day, and the itch is worse and lasts longer.

Answer this Question
Home and Garden Pest Control AdviceFebruary 14, 2017
🎃
🍂
https://www.thriftyfun.com/What-Are-No-See-Ums.html