Getting Rid of No See Ums

Category Gnats
These tiny biting gnats are difficult to see even in the swarms in which they usually travel. There are products and techniques used to get rid of them discussed on this page. This is a guide about getting rid of no see ums.

Does any one have a remedy to keep gnats off of you, especially the face? They are also referred as no-see-ums! This is needed information for someone in south Georgia. The gnats are very irritating and she needs something to keep them off her. Thanks for your help.

By Billie from Sharpsburg, GA

Answers

Best Answer

If it is a problem while sitting around the lawn, try using citronella candles. You can get several metal buckets with citronella candle that lasts a long time at Family Dollar Store. Just place them around where the seating is and light up a few minutes before sitting down. Could hang a few from low tree branches if any are near the sitting location or set them on ledges, table or something that is head high, but not too close to the face. This will help control the majority in advance.

You could spray the area with bug repellent before sitting down, but will probably have to repeat often. Remove any sweet smelling fragrances on your person prior to going outdoors.

Best Answer

What kind of Avon Skin So Soft Oil? The Original (the blue one) or the pink one?

My daughter just moved to South Carolina. How do they stop the "No See Um" bugs from biting?

By Gail from SC

Answers

Best Answer

Reader's Digest's book "5-Minute Fixes" says to trap them: using a quart-sized jar, deposit some banana peel or apple or other fruit into the bottom of the jar. Make a paper funnel where the small end has about a 1/2-inch opening, and the large end so it will fit the top of the jar. Insert funnel, small end inside the jar, wide end completely closing off the mouth of the jar.

No-see-ums should fly in, lay eggs, and won't be able to get back out. Every few days, fill jar with hot tap water to kill flies and larvae. Dispose of the water & bugs. Then start over with new fruit and a new funnel.

I'm trying it today because I have them in the house (I have an indoor herb garden, and they're hanging out in there). I think I'm going to have to get rid of the herb garden, as no-see-ums attach to fruit and plants. Also, if you store fruit on the counter or table, consider storing it in the fridge, and be sure your trash has a tight-fitting lid.

Best Answer

My mum and dad have this problem in Victoria Australia. I have been doing a fair bit of reading on the no see um. They are attracted to water, so if you have a body of water (even as small as a bucket) or live by a creek or lake or coastal they can breed. They also love gutters as mulch or soil that is dense can also be a healthy breeding spot for them.

It is suggested to find the nest and get rid of it otherwise they will return. Use an insecticide and use mint sprays and oils to deter. They do not like mint or lemongrass. Hope this info helps. I know how stressful it has been for my folks, not even feeling comfy in your own home and embarrassed when people visit.

Anyone here succeded so far in getting rid of those pesky noseeums from your house? I've tried many remedies and traps, but none has made a breakthough so far in the assault of a massive number of annoying bugs. Has anyone been successful in wiping them out from their homes? Because I can't seem to no matter what I do.

By Tiffany T

Answers

Best Answer

Are you talking about fruit flies? No-see-ums are a catchall name for many different kinds of small flies, many of which bite. Fruit flies are the most common tiny fly in homes, and you get them in rotten fruit, in pop cans and juice boxes, in potted plants, in compost pails, in garbage cans, etc. I have never found traps to be effective.

The best way to keep them under control is to get rid of all the places that they reproduce. Clean up your garbage containers. Don't keep pop bottles, juice boxes, etc around - or if you do keep them for recycling, rinse them out before putting them in your containers. You may have to toss potted plants if they are in the soil, or, just spray them with an insecticide.

Best Answer

When I bought some new potting soil and repotted about 6 plants, I thought I was going to die from all the gnats! What worked for me (but it took 5 weeks because there was so many) was those sticky fly cylinders laying across the pots. Those caught many newly hatched gnats.

Then shallow little glass bowls of regular cooking oil. The adults would go in and not be able to fly off.

These two methods caught hundreds a day! Now, I bought some play sand (bleached) at the hardware and put 1/2 inch on top of plants. That is supposed to work. I will see when I ever transplant again.

My husband and I have tried everything, just about to rid our house of these mites. You can't see them, but you can feel them. They bite and you feel millions on you at once. They get worse at night. We have to wash our feet every time we come out of the kitchen or bathroom. We can't even sit on the living room furniture. Everything has to be thrown out. I tried pest controls and they could not help. One pest control company sent out someone and they told me they call them "can't see them mites" and they are more common in Texas.

He did a fogging that didn't work for more than a day. I use household cleaners and sprays, still no help. I did 6 foggers last week; it only made them angry. We take at 15 to 20 baths a day and I wash covers 3 or more times a day. Please does somebody know how to kill these things? I really don't want to move because these things do follow on your shoes, clothes, hair, belongings, furniture, everything.

By Jenny

Answers

Google "diatomaceous earth". It is a non toxic powder that can be used for all kinds of crawling insects. It works well for fleas, ants, etc. You can order it from Home Depot or other hardware stores. Be sure to ask for the "food grade" type., then you can use it around animals, children, etc.

without any ill effects. You just sprinkle it around baseboards, on and under cushions on the couch, and even on the mattress on the bed. Leave it for a couple of days before you vacuum it up to give it a chance to work. We had a flea problem with our cat and this worked better than spraying her with chemicals. I hope it works for you.

"No See Um's" are tiny flying bugs in Alaska and the Yukon. These are more likely mites. This link will help you figure out what they are.

https://www.goo  122&ie=UTF-8

Hi, if you have any oak trees nearby they are most certainly the source of the tiny mites, close your windows nearest to the tree or trees, so that they can't gain entry so easily. You can put down sticky paper under the tree to catch them, old newspapers spread with grease, or even lining paper, the best grease is the stuff you put around fruit trees to stop the bugs that climb the trunk to get into the fruit, pin the paper down with stones.

For in house get a steamer and go for it in every room, start at the top of the house and work your way down, steam every nook and cranny, every surface, all of your mattresses and furniture, also steam all of your clothes and when you have done your washing iron everything, lastly get skin so soft oil from avon and spray your pets if you have any, this will stop them being attractive to various biting insects, do the same for yourselves and enjoy a peaceful nights sleep, Honey.x.

Kleen Green. www.naturalginesis.com
They also have shampoo conditioner and make sure u buy the Mint spray. Its kept me from being comited 2 mental institution. Saved my life.

Mold Spores. U have mold somewhere.

Anonymous

hi there.....im hoping you see this reply as i too have the EXACT same problem with these things from hell that has dramatically turned & changed my life around to a point where i'm at wits end i'm so lost & scared & i'm going crazy!!!!!.....its affecting me physically, mentally, socially, personally, i dont go out anymore.....i dont see friends anymore.....not working now.....you cant talk about it to other people.....if anyone finds out WHO WOULD WANT TO BE ANYWHERE NEAR YOU in fear of catching the same thing. Then you have all the others you may have sort of tried to maybe mention quietly about these things immediately move away from you a little & then give you that look people make that says "ummmm are you going CRAZY".....have you got a habit like are you taking some heavy drugs or? I dont see em they say.....THEY ALL DONT SEE THEM or.....all of a sudden your slowly but surely being made out to be a mental case....I HAVE BEEN TO 3 DOCTORS IN THE LAST 3 YEARS regarding these no see ums.....After explaining my problem to the 1st doc who knows me so well & of
whom ive been seeing very regularly for the last 22 years who also knows my whole family & relatives & some of my friends told me I WAS IMAGINING THINGS & ITS ALL IN YOUR HEAD.....she laughed it off & i havnt mentioned again since!....few months later & after telling the 2nd doc of who ive known on & off for around 11 years.....asked me if i was being serious & advised me to NOT SAY A WORD ABOUT IT AGAIN TO ANYONE AS I WILL BE LABELLED AS A MENTAL PATIENT or a JUNKIE of some sort & are losing the plot!.....i just walked away quickly & i was left shocked & i went blank.....i was devastated that 2 DOCTORS didnt beleive me & also having NEVER HEARD ABOUT or that they have no clue at all about these things!!!!! These things when they come ARE FEEDING OF ME.....THEY ATTACK MY EYES & fly straight into them continuaslly out of nowhere again & again & again & again non stop for hours & hours on end while i'm crazily slapping & bashing the back of my head or my face.....they go UP MY NOSE!!!!!.....THEY ARE IN MY HAIR......my EARS are so sore from the self slapping like a LOONY in a PADDED CELL from the stress & frustration & the all over body ITCHING where i feel like i want to scratch & rip into my skin THEY GO UP MY ARMPITS.....I SO ASHAMED TO EVEN SAY THEY DO ALSO GO down there.....yes folks even there.....when these things are around THEY FOLLOW ME EVERYWHERE I GO.....in the car.....my house.....they like stop attacking here & there for like a half hour or so & you like forget about them for a bit & then for example if i go to say buy something at Bunnings.....ill be in the aisle looking to buy something or whatever & all of a sudden BOOM! out of nowhere its in my eye & then its like f#@% i cant get it out i'm slapping at my eye like mad until it comes out or attacking my hair & & & like i can go on & on & on ive tried ive spent thousands on products & cleaning & this or that i'm going CRAZY they attack me EVEN WHILE UNDER THE SHOWER WITH THE WATER AS HOT AS I CAN BARE & NOT BURN & THEY STILL DO NOT DIE!!!!!!.....no insect spray or chemical kills them neither do the reppellants it seems to make them angrier & attack so CRAZILY when i try spraying & & & GOD help me!!!!!.....Im so stressed just trying to write & explain & reach out WHILE ALSO BEING ATTACKED as i type this reply .....i will write some more another day soon i hope i hear back from you poor poor people as i feel your pain & please GOD HELP US for me its been nearly 3 years since these things appeared & & &

hi i really undertsand where you are coming from! i myself been dealing with these insects for few months.i tried everything and anything.i even went to doc 6 times to get help but they thought it was all in my head even though the evidence of bug bites are there.i got bit everwhere on my body.finally i am almost healed.then i read from someone else that helped me get rid of them on my body.i took a cup put a mixture cooking oil,shampoo,drops of vailla extract,white vinegar n baking soda n mixed them together(the baking soda will foam n bubble up put in slowly in last)then fill up your bathtub with hot water n mixture.let it sit for few n adjust the temp of the water.lay there putting all over you even the hair.when you get out you will see them in the water.repeat this for few days believe me they will all leave but to maitain them off rub vicks in exposed areas of skin on you in your home even before going out n if you have flood lights on outslde rub a little of vapor rub on them n you will see no flying bugs around you no mosquitoes and no see ums(thats what's been biting you) i really hope it works for you.it really did for me i still see them around but i'm not getting bitten anymore.finally free them

What do you put in the steamer? Plain water? Vinegar?

Please call me asap bout this issue with the no see ums. It's what's happening to my family right now.

I am getting eaten alive by what I believe to be no-see-ums. My house, has been fogged, but it is not helping me. My husband, 2 kids and dog are all bite free and have been for over a week. I've had bug spray, steroids from the doctor, seen a dermatologist, my primary physician and ER Doc. Nothing is helping and I can't figure out why I'm the lucky one. I have bites all over me and I'm itchy. We have no carpets and no open water.

Answers

People have different body chemistry. You can try using non-scented items Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil repels many bugs.

We have these in Tahiti from time to time. What I do is to use fresh mint oil. The bugs don't like the smell of mint and they don't bite your skin. You can make your own mint oil at home.

In a blender, add a bottle of cheap cooking oil. It doesn't have to be expensive. Buy some fresh mint at your store. Break up the mint and add it to the blender. Mix well until the oil turns green.

Now pour the mint oil in a pan and heat it on your stove. Do not allow it to boil just heat. Afterwards, take a clean, white cloth and put it over a bottle. Pour the oil in the bottle.

Apply the oil to your skin several times a day. When my grandchildren visit my grandson gets bit all the time. This is the only way I can keep him from being bitten by bugs here on the islands. It really works.

It is a proven fact that some people are more attractive to bugs than others.
Some things suggested NOT to wear as they may attract these bugs: Red clothing? Perfume, perfume deodorant, hairspray, perfumed moisturizer.
Products to apply to skin to stop itching and give relief from the biting bugs and may also keep bugs from biting:
Vitamin B!2 (oral daily), Original Listerine Mouth Wash (yellow) (skin), Benadryl spray, Tea Tree Oil (diluted w/water), hand sanitizer, Skin so Soft Bug Guard
There are several highly recommended products for skin and also for outdoors that you might want to check out.
Repel 100 has been the most popular insect repellent spray on Amazon.com for several years already. Its DEET concentration is 98%! It ensures effective protection against a wide range of insects, such as no-see-ums and other biting flies, mosquitoes, ticks, gnats, chiggers and fleas. According to the manufacturer, a single application will provide up to 10 hours of protection.

https://www.ama  l?tag=thrif06-20

Dynatrap Ultralight Insect and Mosquito Trap is the most renowned CO2 insect trap to cover up to 300 sq. ft. It traps midges, sand flies, gnats, flies, mosquitoes, and other flying insects, including flies, wasps and beetles. Just like the electric bugzappers, it lures the insects with the warm light of a UV lamp, and it also has an additional feature: it mimics human breath. This is the result of UV light and special titanium dioxide-coated surface of the device interaction.
https://www.ama  l?tag=thrif06-20

This question is for the person who suggests turning the thermostat down to 62 degrees to kill the no see ums. I have been suffering so much from bites in my house for the past 2 months. Like you, I have tried everything - except bombing. I have a forest filled with oak trees behind my house, which I understand makes it worse.
Why does the cold temperature kill the bugs? Does it kill the eggs also? Does it kill the no see ums that might be on your clothing, bedding, etc.? How do you prevent more from coming inside your house?

I will try this method today. I'll give you feedback as to whether it works for me. Unfortunately I live in Florida where there isn't a freeze during the winter. Thank you so much. If anyone else has suggestions or feedback, please add to this discussion.

Answers

In answer to your specific questions about cold and no seeums:
**The insects only lay eggs outside in moist soil, a garden or surrounding vegetation, so a cold house will not affect the eggs.
**No seeums are very small so can crawl through most window and door screening used in homes. You can replace regular screening with very fine screens which will prevent ingress through windows, doors, etc. However, they can fly with you or on you through doors into your house.
**They are most active in the evening so avoid all outside areas in the evenings. Even just quickly opening/closing doors will bring them inside.
**You can bring them inside your house on your clothes so effective and frequent outside bug bombs will help.
**A cold house may slow them down but they revive quickly.

Where can I buy the spray in Seneca, South Carolina?

By B.K. from Seneca, SC

Answers

I'm not sure about spray for people, but baby oil can work to keep them from biting but it needs to be kind of a generous amount-oily ...yucky. There is that place in Greer (I think that is where the store is located) but they sell online also. Professional strength products, allegedly. I need to look them up again, but you may know what I'm talking about; they had commercials on last year (I've not watched local in months, not sure if they are still on). Hope you find relief. Good luck from Woodruff, SC.

I have these "no see ums" in my home and they bite. They fly and are almost impossible to see. I do see them but they disappear fast. I had the pest control people in and they sprayed the floor but that has not worked. These flying monsters don't affect my indoor cats. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cate from Knoxville, TN

Answers:

Getting Rid of "No See Ums"

I recently posted a suggestion for fruit flies, I wonder if the idea will work for your problem.

I placed a piece of cantaloupe in a glass jar, put a funnel on top, spout down and taped it around with masking tape to seal the funnel to the top of the jar. I did this for a few days, and the fruit flies seem to be gone. The fruit flies can fly in but they can't fly out. I took the jar outside far from the house and let them go. Most of them were dead already.

My daughter's boyfriend suggested putting apple cider in a jar, topping it with plastic wrap, and rubber band it tightly so the fruit flies can't get out. Using a toothpick, punch some holes in the top. I did try this method but there was only one fruit fly inside, the rest of them were in the other jar with the funnel.

If I ever have that problem again, I am going to try cider vinegar with the funnel. If it doesn't work, I'm going to add a piece of fruit to the vinegar. (09/11/2007)

By Laura

Getting Rid of "No See Ums"

I live in a hot country. I think I know what you're talking about. The only remedy I find that works is one of those cheap mosquito repellent machines that you put those little blue mats in. They're the only thing that works for me and I've tried all sorts. (09/12/2007)

By cettina