What Is This Great Smelling Plant?

This plant reseeds itself every year. It smells great. I think it is a type of herb. It's doing exceptionally well this year with all the rain we've had, and has gotten up to 3 to 4 feet tall. It has one flower (I believe?) on top that I think maybe a composite. I do not know the color of the flower. During normal years, they have not been this big.

Best Answer

Thanks for your response. I found out that this plant is Velvet Leaf. It is an invasive species that can form monocultures if left to it's own devices. It also sucks up water and nutrients from the soil big time. It smelled so good, I had thought it would have some redeeming qualities. I have plucked most from my garden now.

Hello!
Very very wild guess : Pogostemon heyneanus or Pogostemon cablin. If it is a Pogostemon, it could not just appear, it would have been planted as the plant originates from India and Sri lanka. The leaves of a Pogostemon are more hairy than the ones on the picture but they have the same shape. The flowers are light pink or white. If it never bloomed before, it can not have reseeds, but if it is a Pogostemon, if you live in a region with no frost in the winter, it could start again from the foot every year as Pogostemon is perennial.

It is the plant from which the Patchouli is produced. The leaves smells without being rubbed and if you dry them, between the pages of a book for example, you will notice that the smell becomes stronger as the leaves are drying.
I hope it helps although I am not sure I am right, but I do not know of another plant with this kind of leaf shape and a strong aromatic smell.