What Is This Houseplant?

I'm trying to care for the plants in my office, but I don't know what kind this particular one is. I already tried a google image search and had no luck. I'd really appreciate your help and am sorry for the messy picture!

Best Answer

Thank you so much for your quick responses and help! I googled schefflera and found images of Pachira Aquatica and I believe that's it. I've included a better picture of the leaves. Sorry!

I am glad we could help and now that you have found the exact name that is even better. These are nice houseplants.

It is useful, to take good care of this plant, to know that it is actually a tree and that it can be 20 meters high in its native tropical region. It is a member of the Bombacaceae family, that is the Baobab family so when you wonder when to water and how much, it helps to imagine that the whole trunk is a reserve of water and will rot if left with stagnant water at the root level.

Catherine, it looks like the subfamily has been reclassified. It is now Bombacoideae. I was reading about it on Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org/.../Pachira_aquatica

Your instructions still apply though. :)

Hard to tell from this photo but maybe a schefflera??

I agree that it looks like it is in the schefflera family. The photo is not very clear on showing the leaves so the exact name would be difficult.

• The schefflera is a large family of plants but mostly all take the same type of care so the exact name is probably not necessary for knowing how to care for it.
  • I believe your plant may be Schefflera Amate but maybe you can check out the leaves as your photo does not show them well enough correctly.
  • Leaves make a big difference in the names as that is usually what distinguishes one plant from another.
  • Ad

• If it is getting too "leggy" then it may not be getting enough light.

Here is a link to care information.

www.joyusgarden.com/.../

I do have a plant exactly like that. It is know affectionately by the name "Money Tree".

It does not like to be overly watered. Once a week is sufficient.

It can grow into several feet tall and will need some sort of support.

Also as it grows you will need to re-plant it into a large planter.

It does not like to be disturbed, therefore I would suggest a quiet corner of a room.

Enjoy your plant!