Identifying Wildflowers?

When out driving or hiking, we often see wildflowers unfamiliar to us. There are so many different types of wildflowers, depending on the region you are in that it can be difficult to identify them.

I was checking my popcorn. I wanted to see how well the ears were filling out. I looked to the ground and saw this flower. It's very nice. If I could find more, I would like to cultivate them. Does anyone know its name?

Answers

Best Answer

Mum thinks its a bellflower. Spanish bellflower maybe? Stumped.

Best Answer

I thought it was maybe a bellflower, too. I sent a picture to my ag agent. He thinks it's a bellflower, too.

But, there are so many kinds of bellflowers. I really need to know which one to care for it properly.I never heard of Spanish bellflower. I'll check it out.

Best Answer

I think it is a Campanula pyramidalis.

These grow wild along the hiking trails outside San Diego on Black Mountain!

Answers

Best Answer

The blue one is blue eyed grass and the white flowers remind me of phlox. I am more certain of the blue flowers than the white ones. Hope that helps.

Best Answer

These lovely purple/blue flowers are called Sisyrinchium- Blue Eyed Grass . The Pale Yellow - Sisyrinchium Striatum- Yellow eyed grass or Satin Flower! These 2 beauties are in the same family!

I saw this weird plant/seed pod hiking in the woods in Allegany State Park, in western NY near the PA border. Can anyone identify it?

Answers

Best Answer

This is Phytolacca americana. It is most commonly known as pokeweed and is a perenial.

It can get up to 8 feet tall. It is a poisonous plant to humans, yet many types of birds can eat it.

I see these beautiful orange flowers by the highway. What are they and how can I get some to plant?

By Janis A McKiddy from Williamsburg, KY

Answers

There's a good chance they are California Poppies (even though they are not really poppies). You can get the seeds online from wildflower seed sites. We sometimes have them along our highways in Washington State too. Do they look like this?

They could also be what I've called Jewel weed. Look something like sedum. I stopped and dug some in VA but not sure if it's legal in Kentucky to dig wild flowers.

They have long roots so get as much root as you can. Good luck (try the back roads with less traffic).

They look like this.

They're Tiger Lilies and they come in all different shades but the orange and yellow seem to be the most popular.Here in Maryland they'll pop up in the oddest of places.I don't know if the birds propagate them or how they get there.There will be a whole field of weeds and 1 or 2 will pop up in amongst them.

I'm sorry I should have said where you can get them.Any garden center should have them.You could also check with Lowe's or Home Depot.Seed catalogs also have them some of them are Burpee,Wayside Gardens,Spring Hill nurseries and Park are just a few and I think the most popular.If you go to there websites you can order their catalogs for free.

These are not tiger lilies just lilies. They don't have the stripes, like tiger lilies.

These are some of the flowers I see on my social distancing walks in the neighborhood. Some of them I recognize more or less, but am hoping for more specific information.

The first two are of one plant with a closeup of the flowers.

The third I believe is some sort of phlox?

The next is a red clover, more info desired.

The fifth is also some type of clover, but I am unfamiliar with this variety, the tiny white flowers are very different from the clover I know.

And the final one is about the plants in front of the clover. Are they some type of wild primrose?

Thanks for your help. Keep safe.

Answers

This is called Hairy Bittercress Weed - this weed produces flowers , that releases seeds in the air producing more weeds . It over takes lawns.

Thanks - while pretty probably not one I want to add to my yard.

that white clover is the only one we see along these parts

that red clover is better known as crimson clover; the plain old red clover looks just like the white, but red. The crimson becomes conical like that. The seeds can be edible, and the flowers can be tea.

that first white one I've seen it a lot - it could actually be catnip
also mroe info here www.growveg.com/.../

Thank you for your help. I love the crimson clover and was thinking of digging up a plant or two for my yard. I am not a fan of the raggedy lawn I have and don't like fertilizers, so I am adding clover and hopefully the small English daisies that come in some grass mixes.

This plant pops up in the wooded area of my property, in a different spot each spring. It has tiny pink flowers. Anyone know what it is?

By Judy

Answers

Its hard to see your picture, it could be Slender bush clover. Check with your state's Conservation for a book of wildflowers. Good Luck.

It looks like Ajuga-Bugleweed. Your picture is kind of dark. Look up Ajuga and compare for your self. jjs

I can't tell for sure without seeing the leaves better. But it could be pentsemon/pentsamon. Google and compare.

Home and Garden Gardening Plant Info What Is This PlantOctober 28, 2015
😎
🐛
😷
🌻
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/What-Is-This-Plant-Wildflower.html