What Is This Plant (Wildflower)?

When out driving or hiking we often see wildflowers unfamiliar to us. This is a guide about "what is this plant (wildflower)?".

I see these beautiful orange flowers by the highway. What are they and how can I get some to plant?

By Janis01 from Williamsburg, KY

Answers

There's a good chance they are California Poppies (even though they are not really poppies). You can get the seeds online from wildflower seed sites. We sometimes have them along our highways in Washington State too. Do they look like this?

They could also be what I've called Jewel weed. Look something like sedum. I stopped and dug some in VA but not sure if it's legal in Kentucky to dig wild flowers. They have long roots so get as much root as you can. Good luck (try the back roads with less traffic).

They look like this.

They're Tiger Lilies and they come in all different shades but the orange and yellow seem to be the most popular.Here in Maryland they'll pop up in the oddest of places.I don't know if the birds propagate them or how they get there.There will be a whole field of weeds and 1 or 2 will pop up in amongst them.

I'm sorry I should have said where you can get them.Any garden center should have them.You could also check with Lowe's or Home Depot.Seed catalogs also have them some of them are Burpee,Wayside Gardens,Spring Hill nurseries and Park are just a few and I think the most popular.If you go to there websites you can order their catalogs for free.

These are not tiger lilies just lilies. They don't have the stripes, like tiger lilies.

This plant pops up in the wooded area of my property, in a different spot each spring. It has tiny pink flowers. Anyone know what it is?

By Judy

Answers

Its hard to see your picture, it could be Slender bush clover. Check with your state's Conservation for a book of wildflowers. Good Luck.

It looks like Ajuga-Bugleweed. Your picture is kind of dark. Look up Ajuga and compare for your self. jjs

I can't tell for sure without seeing the leaves better. But it could be pentsemon/pentsamon. Google and compare.

I saw this weird plant/seed pod hiking in the woods in Allegany State Park, in western NY near the PA border. Can anyone identify it?