What Kind of Bedroom Furniture Is This?

What Kind of Bedroom Furniture Is This?Is this piece of bedroom furniture called an armoire, chifforobe, bureau, or something else? I can't find a design like this.


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,246 Posts
September 6, 20170 found this helpful
Best Answer

It is indeed a chifferobe. Wiki: A chifforobe (/frob/) is a closet-like piece of furniture that combines a long space for hanging clothes (that is, a wardrobe or armoire) with a chest of drawers. Typically the wardrobe section runs down one side of the piece, while the drawers occupy the other side.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
September 6, 20171 found this helpful
Best Answer

Beautiful piece of furniture. It seems most definitions of armoire, chifforobe and wardrobe are pretty much the same but most lean toward calling an item like this an armoire because it does not not have a wardrobe.


A local antique dealer said this could have been intended for a linen press as this style was often used to store linens (and many times had a pull out shelf like your item) and was used in a formal dining room/area.
He also said the french sometimes called this style a men's armoire as most men's items were folded (even shirts) and placed in drawers or on shelves.
It seems a chifforobe generally always has a rod for hanging clothes (either top/side) and gets part of its name from "wardrobe". As wardrobe always seem to mean "hanging" area.
Here is an except from a furniture appraiser (from Antique Road show): Both the armoire and the chifforobe are tall, wooden, stand-alone cupboards featuring shelves for storage. They can be moved around as needed, unlike a traditional closet. The most significant difference lies in their configurations.


An armoire -- also known as a wardrobe -- typically has two doors that open to a spacious storage area on top, with several shelves lining the bottom half of the cupboard. Armoires sometimes also feature a couple of long drawers underneath the top cupboard.
A chifforobe combines into one unit a tall, narrow closet for hanging clothes and a tall, narrow chest of drawers. Sometimes, instead of drawers, a chifforobe will offer a set of narrow shelves.

If you need a professional opinion as to the style or value you can get a free appraisal from several well known auction houses. Be sure to give them as much information as you can find - such as; markings on back or under drawers - dimensions - and any other information such as how it became in your possession - parents/purchase (when and where) with dates/city/state.


Perhaps you could post back with any information you receive. Here is a link to several sites for a free appraisal.

Reply Was this helpful? 1

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
September 5, 20170 found this helpful

One of your pieces with the two door looks like a chifferobe. The other piece looks more like a shoe rack. I can find antique chifferobe that look like the one in the front.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,298 Posts
September 6, 20170 found this helpful

I believe the photo attached is when the furniture is closed and opened.

This bedroom furniture looks like a short armoire.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
< Previous
Consumer Advice Collectibles AntiquesSeptember 4, 2017
Thanksgiving Ideas!
Halloween Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2022-10-24 10:30:08 in 969 msecs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.