AdviceGardening

What is This Plant?

You guys are so good. I'm sure this is easy. I just wondered what this plant is. It was growing wild, here in central/coastal FL and I'd love to have some in my yard. Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

By Painterlee from Indialantic, FL

It looks like trumpet vine. The humming birds here like it. It grows along the road side and is an aggressive plant. You have to prune it often or it will take over. So think twice before planting it in your yard.

I believe it is called Angel Trumpet. I think they are beautiful. A home in our historic area has them growing around their mailbox stand and they are beautiful. They come in a lot of colors also.

Trumpet vines are gorgeous-I have seen them as tall as 6-7 feet high. They come in pink, white and yellow. Google trumpet vine and you can find out the best place in your garden to plant it.

I forgot to tell you that I think the flowers are poisonous and you should wash your hands real good after touching the flowers.

It is called a "bignone" and it is not poisonous, but not good to eat.

Thanks everybody! I knew you'd come through! :)

It looks like honeysuckle to me.

This is a trumpeter creeper, both acts as a bush and a vine. If you decide too get a root, too, grow a new plant, be careful of bumble bees, they often make nest in ground near them.

Anonymous

It's a Trumpet Vine for certain and they are beautiful but you 'do not' want to plant it next to your house or fencing because it's so hardy and strong that it will actually rip the siding and fencing apart in just a matter of a very, very few short years! It also spreads incredibly fast (through the root system) and attracts ants :-( I tell you this from personal experience :-( If you want to grow one be sure to have it far away on it's own sturdy post and keep it well trimmed and pick up the flowers as soon as they drop because the flowers contain seed pods.