Wheat (Gluten) Free Meal Ideas

Every week we host about 20 people for a meal. I'm running out of wheat-free ideas. We have done baked potatoes, salad, beans, hot dogs, and burgers. I prepare the main dish and assign others to bring side dishes. Any really cheap ideas on what else to do? I'd like to not use the oven because it heats up the house and we are in the Houston area so it's still around 100 degrees pretty regularly here.

By Barbara L.

I like crushing Chex brand cereal into crumbs, it is gluten free, and then dipping into eggs mixed in a bowl and frying in canola oil any vegetables you would normally fry with bread crumbs. This could be anything from fried green tomatoes to Okra or squash, eggplant etc.

Rice Rice Rice!
It's super cheap, and you don't need to worry about any specialty gluten-free items. It's been a staple of our diet ever since my husband had to go gluten free. Rice based meals we've served to company have included curry, stir fry, california roll style sushi, rice casserole, soups and any meat dish can be served with a side of rice.

If you get bored of plain rice, a wild rice blend adds nice variety, though it's a bit pricier, and we're also fond of quinoa cooked in chicken broth (Trader Joe's has the best price for it in our area).

Just noticed the bit about it being hot in Houston. This is my favorite light summer meal. I usually just throw in whatever veggies are on sale instead of what the recipe calls for. They all taste good.

What about a taco bar? Offer flour tortillas or hard corn taco shells. I believe those are G free. Add all the fixins-cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, hot sauce.

What about a couple of different kinds of soups and chili? You might have to borrow a few crock pots for this one.