When Should Girls Start Wearing Makeup?

Category Teen
This is a longstanding discussion between mothers and their daughters. This is a guide about "when should girls start wearing makeup?".

I was just wondering if anyone had a 13 year old daughter that wants to wear make up, because I do. I won't let her because I have a no make up rule till you're 16, unless it's for around the house and then only a little, like lip gloss and glitter. I think young girls look pretty the way they are and don't need makeup and I didn't wear it till then. None of my kids have ever asked before because they know the answer, but now we moved and she asked me. She says she wants to wear it because she wants to be treated like a teen, but I think it's just to fit in. Should I let her wear it or not? I don't know what to do.

By mc4lifes from Sydney, NSW

Answers

Best Answer

I was wearing lip gloss and eyeshadow at 13, though I had to pester my mom for weeks to wear it lol! I think it's pretty normal for girls that age to start getting interested in makeup. Maybe you could compromise and let her wear some sheer lip gloss or something like that? They have fruity-flavored ones that are marketed towards teens. Just something that lets her feel a little more grown-up but doesn't go against your principles.

A lot of girls tend to cake on makeup when they first start to wear it, and it can look very bad and over- done when they are in the process of learning. So I know where you are coming from. I think a small amount of makeup should be allowed. Perhaps you could take her for a special treat to the mall to any cosmetic counter in the department stores (Belks, JC penny etc.) And get one of the makeup artists to do a demonstration on your daughter for a light teen makeup look. I know Clique does your make-up for free if you make any purchase from them (big or small- doesn't matter). They do a wonderful job, and they are very nice and they can show your daughter how to do it very simply.

Being treated like a teen is about fitting in. Basically it is the same thing. When my oldest daughter was 12-13 we weren't allowing her to wear make-up and now that she is approaching 50, if her Dad had his way she wouldn't be wearing make-up yet. Then one day when she came home form school I noticed she had eye make-up on and asked her where she had got it and she told me she had used another girls. This was in the day when the only make-up that girls wore was eye make-up.

Anyway I went and bought her a couple colors of eye shadow and when her Dad came home from work I told him about it and that it was better for her to have her own, than be using somebody elses. I would let your daughter wear the lip gloss and maybe a little eye shadow, she is awfully young to be wearing glitter. Actually I think the only people that should be wearing glitter are people in show business or for a formal event.

As long as she's not slathering on the makeup, a touch of lip gloss and eye shadow are appropriate for a girl in her early teens.

I went to a private school clear back in the 1970's, and I wore a little bit of eye shadow when I was 12. Nobody even noticed, and it didn't violate the dress code. I wasn't dating or anything. I didn't wear it to attract boys. I just wanted to borrow my mom's eye shadow, LOL.

And that was nearly 35 years ago. Nowadays, a little eye shadow and lip gloss are perfectly appropriate for young teens. That's why makeup manufacturers target advertising to them, in teen magazines, etc.

Hope this info helps!