Where to Donate or Recycle Old Sports Trophies

Where can I donate or recycle my old sports trophies (swimming, basketball, softball, field hockey, etc.)? I live in northwestern Connecticut.

By Martha Z

Best Answer

I must disagree with the previous poster. I have seen trophies for sale at Value Village and at other Thrift Shops. The name plaques are easily removed, and then the trophy can easily be given over again. Some trophy shops will also swap out the top for another spot; bowling for sunflower spitting, for example, for a very small fee.

My mother used to run games at a community sports day, and she gave away amazing trophies donated by people, with the tops switched out to her events. Call schools, boys and girls clubs, Scouts, Guides, church groups, etc. Post them to give away on Freecycle. I am sure you can find a good home for them.

Sorry but it may difficult to find someone who will accept your trophies. They are similar to encyclopedias - no one wants them.

Trophies are usually personal and only have meaning to the individual who won them. I usually recommend putting them in the recycle containers and hope they will come to some use in the future. Please do not put in your regular garbage as they will last "forever" in a land fill.

Hi and thanks for the information as I have difficulty finding anyone to take trophies. Of course it could be the area but I work part time for a major charity and we have been unable to sell them (at any price).

I will look for some of the places you mentioned and maybe have better luck.

We have an organization called "Community Living" in our town where challenged people live. They have picnics and sports events and the residents got a trophy for winning.

All were from garage sales and had been tossed out. They really don't care what the trophy says or whose name is on it or what it was for. They "won."