Recycling Old Trophies

Category Recycling
You can recycle those old, unwanted, dusty trophies cluttering up your closet. This is a guide about recycling old trophies.

Where can I donate my old baseball, cheerleading , swim, and soccer trophies?

By Bridget B. from Charlotte, NC

Answers

Give them to your local Special Olympics organization.

I couldn't have come up with anything better! Kudos' Carol!

You may also find that clubs such as Scouts, or Guides, or even local schools may be able to reuse them for events. In my school we used to use them for our curling bonspiels, and my mom used them for various awards at a Family Fun day where she organized kids games and sunflower spitting contents.

One of our local trophy shops would swap out the tops on the trophies for a very small fee- $1 or $2 per trophy. I believe they will also take them at places like Goodwill and Salvation Army. I have seen them for sale at Value Village. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a new home for them where they will be appreciated.

Does anyone know of a business that recycles old trophies?

We had 4 boys in sports and have many trophies that I just can't seem to throw away. Will someone take them as a donation? Thanks.

By Cathie

Answers

May I suggest that first you take a picture or pictures of them for future memories. As to donating them. Ehow says that local sports teams and thrift stores may want them.

Hello...
I have a great idea! Can you please donate then to your local Special Olympics? The prople that run this org. rarely have the funds to buy the children trophies when they have their events. You will put a smile on a beautiful child's face. Take care

Does anyone know of a place in southern California that will take used trophies to recycle?

My seven and five year old girls have a lot of medal, ribbons, trophies and certificates. How show I display them? Should I put the certificates in a memory album? Please respond with any ideas. Thank you
- Sunglasses

Answers

My mother did the following to display my medals, ribbons and certificates. She took a piece of MDF and stapled batting to one side. Then she took fabric and stretched it over the batting and flipped it over and held it tight while using a staple gun to secure it to the back. She then flipped it over to the front and criss-crossed ribbons and used upholstery tacks to secure them and stapled the ends to the back. She slid my certificates in between the ribbons and tacked my ribbons on she nailed in my medals. Hope this helps you.

I love Memory Boxes to hang on the wall with glass front. I have one with pictures,booties,graduation tassels wedding favors,which contain items from the most important facets of their lives. I also have one with momentos of my mother and father.They were parents of 6,needless to say ,didn"t have much just a lot of love to give. I found a quote which I have inside.

It says "One hundred years from now it will not matter what kind of car I drove,what kind of house I lived in,how much I had in my bank account,nor what my clothes looked like. But the world may be a better place because I was important in the life of a child." It also has momentos of their 50th anniversary and dried roses from their funerals. These are two of the most cherished items I have.

Hi,
If anyone has some trophies they don't need anymore and is willing to donate them please let me know. I am in an art show in dallas and i need about 3000 (im half way there!). i would use dhl to pick them up, so no extra work for you. thank you so much for your time. feel free to contact me

the picture i am attaching displays some of the trophies i already have. the object behind it is a model staircase, which i intend to build with the 3000 trophies.

mca10 at hotmail dot com

By Mike P. (Guest Post)

Hello everyone,

I own an awards company out of the Chicagoland area and would be interested in recycling any and all awards, trophies, medals, plaques and awards that you might have. We have just started this new business due to the increased need and untapped opportunity. We have been repeatedly asked by many individuals what they can do with their trophies, medals, plaques and awards. Before we had no ability to handle this influx of items but an epiphany happened not to long ago to myself in which I thought there would be many deserving people out there who could not afford to provide these types of awards for special people.

Furthermore, I would like to see less garbage being dumped in our depleted garbage heaps around the area. While this might only be a drop in the bucket, at least it is a step in the right direction.

If you have items that are collecting dust, spiders, or just taking up space, we would be interested in any and all items that are in good condition even a little banged up. We have the ability to fix and repair these items and provide them either to charities or new and bright shiny faces.

Thanks in advance, Michael Przybylski
Awardex.com
mike@awardex.com

By Mike Przybylski (Guest Post)

Hello everyone,

I own an awards company out of the Chicagoland area and would be interested in recycling any and all awards, trophies, medals, plaques and awards that you might have. We have just started this new business due to the increased need and untapped opportunity. We have been repeatedly asked by many individuals what they can do with their trophies, medals, plaques and awards. Before we had no ability to handle this influx of items but an ephihany happened not to long ago to myself in which I thought there would be many deserving people out there who could not afford to provide these types of awards for special people. Furthermore, I would like to see less garbage being dumped in our depleted garbage heaps around the area. While this might only be a drop in the bucket, at least it is a step in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Michael Przybylski
Awardex.com
mike@awardex.com

Where can I donate various trophies near Castle Rock CO?

Where can I donate or recycle my old sports trophies (swimming, basketball, softball, field hockey, etc.)? I live in northwestern Connecticut.

By Martha Z

Answers

Sorry but it may difficult to find someone who will accept your trophies. They are similar to encyclopedias - no one wants them.

Trophies are usually personal and only have meaning to the individual who won them. I usually recommend putting them in the recycle containers and hope they will come to some use in the future. Please do not put in your regular garbage as they will last "forever" in a land fill.

I must disagree with the previous poster. I have seen trophies for sale at Value Village and at other Thrift Shops. The name plaques are easily removed, and then the trophy can easily be given over again. Some trophy shops will also swap out the top for another spot; bowling for sunflower spitting, for example, for a very small fee.

My mother used to run games at a community sports day, and she gave away amazing trophies donated by people, with the tops switched out to her events. Call schools, boys and girls clubs, Scouts, Guides, church groups, etc. Post them to give away on Freecycle. I am sure you can find a good home for them.

Hi and thanks for the information as I have difficulty finding anyone to take trophies. Of course it could be the area but I work part time for a major charity and we have been unable to sell them (at any price).

I will look for some of the places you mentioned and maybe have better luck.

We have an organization called "Community Living" in our town where challenged people live. They have picnics and sports events and the residents got a trophy for winning. All were from garage sales and had been tossed out. They really don't care what the trophy says or whose name is on it or what it was for. They "won."

Are there any companies in Daytona Beach, Florida that recycle old well kept sports and band trophies? I have 5 large boxes that need a good home.

Where can I donate sports trophies in the Charlottesville, Virginia area?

Where in the central New Jersey area can I donate about 60 trophies that my 3 sons have received over the past 10 years or so? The majority have a baseball, basketball, or soccer figure on top.

My daughter has many old girl's basketball trophies that are in good condition and I am hoping an organization can use them. I live in the Pasadena, California area. Thank you.

By Ellen M

Who can I give them to?

By Wayne

Answers

Donate them to church groups or people who work with underprivileged childre. These trophies can be taken apart and made into different prizes.

We donated trophies to an organization with had mentally challenged individuals. They would have contests and games,etc and the prize would be a trophy. They didn't read but they knew that a trophy meant "Champion" "The Best""Winner"

Contact local schools as well. Sometimes they use them as prizes for things. We used ours for curling bonspiel prizes.

Often you can purchase new tops for the trophies for a small charge that can change a bowling trophy into a sunflower seed spitting contest trophy. Much less expensive to refurbish than to purchase new ones. Old trophies for a particular sport can merely have the plaques removed or changed to be useable again - eg bowling for a junior bowling league, for example.

I have some old trophies to donate, any ideas where I can donate them?

By Brian

Answers

Yes, please call your local schools and ask them. I would really try to donate them to your local special olympic program. Good luck.

Schools. Special Olympics. Clubs like Cubs or Boys and Girls clubs. Organizations that run community activity days with games and contests for kids. Goodwill and Salvation Army Thrift Stores. You might also try Seniors Homes, as they often do Winter Festivals and such like events, and so they might like to give out a trophy too! Worth a phone call, anyway.

Call a local trophy shop and see if they have some suggestions.

Is there any place in Michigan where I can recycle about 8 trophies that are in very good condition?

Is there someplace near South Palm Beach county, Florida, that I can take old trophies to have them recycled?

Where can trophies and plaques be recycled, refurbished, or donated in Richmond VA?

Where in the East Brunswick, NJ area can I donate or sell plaques?

I am affiliated with a swim team and I have tons of trophies we do not want to throw away. Can you advise? Special Olympics does not want them. I live in Houston, Texas.

How would I sell old bowling trophies or recycle for profit?

By Manny W.

Where can I donate my old trophies, so that they can be recycled for good use?

By Lynda

We have several trophies which were packed away in our attic. These were from our childrens' high school days in the late 70s, early 80s. They do not want them, nor do we. Is there a place in the Lehigh Valley Pennsylvania area that accepts these for recycling purposes?

By B. Smith

Answers

Check this trophy recycling website for possibilities:
http://www.recycleyourtrophy.com/

I have quite a few of old sports trophies that I would like to recycle. I live in Alabama is there a location near me or even around Atlanta Georgia that I might be able to take them?

By Linda

Answers

Look for a place where challenged people live. We have one and they use them for prizes when they win. It doesn't matter whose name is on it or what it is for. They just know the won a prize or a trophy.

There are many places that will reuse trophies - boys and girls clubs, perhaps Scouts & Guides, sometimes schools, charitable events, etc. If they do not use them for the sport that is depicted, most trophy sellers will swap out the top, sometimes for free (especially if you are getting engraving done there.)

We used to recycle curling trophies at the school I taught at; we took off the name plaques, and used them that way. Many places like Goodwill or the Salvation Army thrift shops will take them as well, as they can sell them.

Where do I take these trophies to without having the expense of shipping them?

By Alma S from Casselberry, FL

Answers

I believe trophies are like encyclopedias - very hard to even give away. Trophies are usually personal to the individual and have no value to anyone else.
I do not know of any organization that recycles these so I hope someone else has some ideas. Maybe you or someone else has found a decorative use?

In our area, we can donate trophies to the Salvation Army Thrift Store or other thrift stores/charities. Or some clubs might use them. Phone around in your local area. Schools, especially elementary schools, might be interested in them.

Our school used to take curling trophies, remove the plaques, and then use them in our curling bonspiels (a popular sport in our area). Also, many trophy shops will trade in the top for a small fee so you can switch out the sport (eg bowling for watermelon spitting contest).

My mother used to do this with donated trophies for a community sports day for the children's games that she organized. She was able to give quite grandiose trophies for the races, ball throws, and watermelon spitting events that she held. Once the plaques are removed, the trophy is easily repurposed for other events. Call local schools and clubs such as Scouts, Guides, boys and girls clubs, etc.

Where can I donate old trophies?

By Cathy

Answers

You may be able to find a local trophy shop that will take them but usually you cannot find a taker. Sorry but they are usually only "worth" something to the original recipient.

Schools sometimes use them for prizes, clubs such as Scouts may use them. My mother used to repurpose old trophies by trading in the tops (usually curling or bowling figures) for ball throw and racing figures for use at the kids games she ran at the family fun day we held in our community.

I think you can donate them to Goodwill, Value Village, or the Salvation Army (where they sell them for a tiny amount to clubs!). Offer them on Freecycle or similar websites. I am sure you will be able to find someone who will take them off your hands.

I have two boxes full of bowling trophies. Where can I recycle them?

By Wai Ling

Answers

Find your local special Olympics group, or check with the schools!

Try any local charities, especially disabled or mentally challenged groups. They can always use them for youth activities and just remove the plaques.

I have over 100 or so used trophies and will be moving soon. Is there somewhere in New Jersey that I could donate them? It would cost too much to ship them for a donations. They are all in excellent condition.

By Margaret from Carteret, NJ

Answers

Phone your local schools, boys and girls clubs, Scouts and Guides and see if they would like them. If you don't have time to do that, you could check with Value Village, Good Will, and the Salvation Army Thrift Stores (if you have those) as I have seen used trophies for sale in Value Village, so at least here in Canada they accept them. Clubs can use them for events they sponsor by removing the plaques, or swapping out the tops. I have used donated trophies many times for curling bonspiels at my school and my mom used them for children's games that she organized in the summer at a community sports day.

Another idea is "Special Olympics" - they would love the trophies and can have special plates engraved for their athletes.

I'd love to donate a large box of old, but well preserved trophies. Is there a local place I can bring them? I tried Special Olympics in my area, but they weren't accepting at this time.

By Hilary from Yorktown, NY

Answers

There is a group on the internet called Freecycle.org. It is for people who want to get rid of things and not fill up the landfill. You list your item on the website and you are contacted by people who would like to have your item. It is very effective and a lot of fun as well.

Hello,
Please try the boys/girls club, a bowling alley, a pre-school and your local shelters for children. good luck

Where in the Brandon/Tampa Florida area can I donate old trophies?

My belated husband was an avid pool player and I have an abundance of trophies stored away. I am looking to donate them to a charity or a pool league that might be needing trophies in order to pay out more to the players. Any suggestions?

I have several trophies I would like to donate. Is there a place where I could take them?

I am wanting to donate tropies that my daughters have earned through 4-H and local horse shows. Is there anywhere in Canada that takes the donation of trophies? I live in Southern Alberta.

Where can I donate them where they can be used as a trophy again, not end up in a recycle bin? I would be willing to drop them off.

By Peggy

My husband has a lot of trophies for various sports. We're thinking of moving to another house and need to declutter. Can I recycle them?

By Sheila

Answers

There may be children's clubs in your area that will take them. I used to teach elementary school, and we used curling trophies for our little school bonspiels. My mother used to run kids games at our rural sports/family fun days in our small town, and she would take used trophies, switch out the tops at a trophy store (say get rid of the bowler and put on a sunflower for sunflower spitting!), and give them out to the winners of the kids games.

I have seen trophies for sale at Thrift Stores or Value Village. See if local charities will take them. Phone school and children's organizations. You might try Special Olympics. You could offer them to give away online in your local buy/sell postings - Kjjii, Craigslist, etc.

Where can I donate used trophies and plaques in Grand Rapids Michigan?

By Judy from Grand Rapids, MI

Where in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area can I donate these? I have bowling bowls and trophies.

By Judy B. from Grand Rapids, MI

Answers

Try schools, various clubs, Special Olympics, Scouts, Guides, etc. Some may not be interested; others may jump at the chance. We reused curling trophies at the school where I worked -- just took off the name plaques; my mom ran children games at a summer fun fest, and swapped out the tops of trophies for the events that she had -- sunflower seed spitting, ball throw, races, etc, for the bowling or curling trophies that were donated. The tops were swapped out free of charge because she had engraving done at the place.

I have old swim trophies at the pool I work at and we would like to donate them. Where can we do that at?

By Sarah from Oakland, MI

Answers

Contact the school system and/or the Special Olympics in your area. They will repurpose them.

We have at least 50 trophies; tennis, baseball, and soccer. Can anyone use them or recycle?

By Helen M.

Answers

Hi - most trophies are very inexpensive and not worth much except to the person acquiring them.
I did donate some of my sons' to local trophy shop but could not find anyone else interested.

Load More