Will Cutting a Pomeranian's Fur Damage His Coat?

I got my Pom puppy (14 weeks old) cut short, but not shaved. I was not aware of the dangers in cutting them and am terrified that I ruined his coat. If it is just a one time thing, is it pretty likely that I have no damage my poor baby permanently?

I have always heard that you could trim/cut some dog's fur with no after affects but this is not the case with the Pomeranian. It seems their fur is different and may never grow back to the original condition. I'm surprised that your groomer did not inform you of this as most groomers should know this. Maybe you are lucky and only the outer layer was trimmed.

Here are a couple of sites that explain what happens and what you can do (but I do not believe there is any true remedy).

www.petpom.com/shaved-pomeranian

www.petpom.com/pomeranian-hair-cut-lion-cut

I was also surprised to learn that the hair may not grow back at all, or grow back wiry or fuzzy. The coat is hard to maintain, but keeps the dog cool in summer and warm weather in winter. I'm not sure what your recourse is against the groomer. I'm sure you could go to small claims court if you want to go that route.

i did mean to tell you - you have an adorable puppy so please stop worrying about what has happened and just love that cute baby. I feel sure nothing will change your mind about loving this little fella.

I did a little research and I hope that you will be ok. It sounds like shaving down can cause damage to the hair follicles. Since it was just a clip, it probably didn't go deep enough to cause a problem.

I have a Chow Chow and we have given her a lion cut often over the years. It has always grown back entirely. I would have never known it was different for Pomeranians.