MiscellaneousCrafts

Wood Lovers' Initials String Art

Vote for this contest contender!

After Valentine's Day, I bought a couple of heart shaped wall decor panels for 90% off (.59 cents from $5.99). I decided to design one of the panels with my fiancé and my initials. I really liked how it turned out and what's awesome is that this project cost less than $2 to make. The nails ($1.30) I bought and used can be found at your local hardware store.

You can apply this same concept with any pieces of wood you may have. This is fake wood, but can also be applied to real wood too.

Total Time: 1 to 1.5 hours

1. I used Microsoft Word to create the outline of the letters and heart then printed them out on paper. You can skip this step and freehand your picture or letters too.
  2. I used a ruler and pen to mark out where I wanted to place nails to make it easier. There is no right or wrong way to do this method, it is up to you on how many nails you want.
  3. Tape down the paper to your work space and start hammering away.
  4. Once you finish hammering, you can gently remove the paper.
  5. If you get any paper stuck under the nails, you can use a pair of tweezers to remove it.
  6. Using any string or twine - you can create your letter masterpiece. I just went around the letters once.
  7. For the heart, I wanted to create a geometric style heart so I wrapped the twine around in all sorts of directions.
  8. Once completed you can display it on your mantle, or since this has hooks on the back, I will be hanging it up on the wall. This would make a great gift for any occasion like Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, birthday, housewarming, engagement, wedding, and so forth.